Fly Fishing Forum banner

Going to be in Bean Town next month

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be in Boston the dates of 9/9 - 9/12 for an industry trade show, staying at the Harborside Hyatt. Of course, I intend to bring my fishing tackle. I'll have a car and will be free Thursday through Saturday nights after 6 p.m., have to be in the hotel room by 7 each morning.

Questions are:

Do I need a saltwater license to fish in Mass.?
Will anyone be fishing on the cape or anywhere near the city on any of those dates that wouldn't mind a tag-along?

One other option, if anyone is interested, is to fish on Monday. This would require me using a free hotel night but if the fish are there and it's possible to hook up with any of you locals I'd be willing to do it.

#2 ·
You will not need a SW license to fish in Mass...I will probabaly be on the Cape that weekend...keep in mind that it's about 55 miles from Boston to the Cape bridge.... and alteast 1/2 hour more to ...say...Chatham...which is 30 miles from the bridge... and and another 30 miles up to P-Town from there. I know Boston harbor will probably be hot and it might be worth your while to get a guide for the evenings... since they do go out in the eves in the harbor to cater to the intown working crowd. The guide can take you out in a boat since the beach fish is hard... and you would need a boat to get to the Islands... Castle Island is accessable but again you are on limited time and really don't know where to go. Check the sponsor list for Boston harbor guides...if we have none, I can recommend some for you to contact..... but if you want to go to the Cape... that should be no problem except for the fact that you are limited to nights.

#3 ·
No license needed.

Lots of fishing options at that time. My brother and I will likely be focused on the SBFT if they are around. Good bass and blue fishing around Boston and on the cape you can add Bonito, Albies and Spanish Macs to the list.

Am I reading that right - you will be available only in the evenings on those days? If so then the best fishing list narrows to Bass. I'll let others handle the where's as I do not know the Boston area well at all.

#4 ·
I have not read it nor have I fished Boston Harbor but if I were in your shoes and didn't want to spend the money on a guide I would pick up Jack Gartside's "The Fly Fisherman's Guide to Boston Harbor". From what I have heard this book gives a very detailed account of the when, where and how for the wading angler.

Sean

#5 ·
Chris,

Try Castle Island. Its easy, accessible and only a $10 - 20 cab ride from where you are. It's a man made structure that has two inflow/outflow channels. The fish stack up outside the channels on the outgoing waiting to crash bait. You'll need to get down deep, the water really moves through there (I fish a 460 grain). I would have been more then happy to show you around but I'm going to be away that whole weekend. Let me know if you need anymore information, directions etc. Good luck.

Dave

#7 ·
Thanks for the information Guys. I'm going to be keeping this to a low-cost adventure as I'm hoping to go out with a guide on Montauk near the end of October and have only so much in the way of funds (tragic, but true). Out of curiosity, is there anything north of the city that's good? BTW, suggestions on fishing Castle Island are duly noted. I'll have to look at a tide chart for the area.

Hawkeye - I'll have evenings and early mornings open; between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. I'm at the trade show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.