Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spring Run Clave Update

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Well we're 1 month out and things are getting rolling, so I figured it's time to get some items out to the debating society.

<font size="3"><b>1. </font><!--3--></b>The 2 camps we have going so far are organizing off line with their assigned guests as far as food planning, bedding etc. That's going well and everyone is offering to help.

<font size="3"><b>2. </font><!--3--></b> We are currently short 1 bunk, we've just added the fabulous Estey's brothers and could use
another bunk. Due to a cancellation, there is one left in Pocasset, but would be nice to keep the 2
brothers under one roof. Ideas?

<font size="3"><b>3. </font><!--3--></b>I've checked with the Town Hall and Police of Dennis and found W. Dennis Beach to be open
round the clock. I propose we make this the Anchor Location for Clave gatherings. We can fish the
Jetty there, the beach is productive before sunrise, and boats from my place can come down river
and hook up with shore bounders if they want to get out on a boat. Then we can fan out from there.

<font size="3"><b>4. </font><!--3--></b>Day 2: we could plan out Sunday's fishing at dinner Sat. night. based on our results. A north side trip would be nice, Barnstable Harbor, Sesuit etc.

<font size="3"><b>5. </font><!--3--></b>As stated before I need to try and keep the traffic down at my cottage. As of now I'm looking at a
1/2 dozen cars and up to 4 boats/trailers. Carpooling would help. I will avoid a big gathering there.
That's what Sat. night is for at Clancys. Low tide sat. night is 9:00 so 7-8 pm is a good time to hook
up and eat drink and be merry.

<font size="3"><b>6. </font><!--3--></b>I'm going down midday friday. Not sure who is going to get there when friday night. I will check
with my crew to see who get's there when. I doubt everyone will be there for dinner.
That leaves dinner Sat. night which we're eating out. So figure from there.

<font size="3"><b>7. </font><!--3--></b>TIDES: high tides will be
<b> 2:14am and 2:52pm on Sat.
3:03am and 3:44pm on Sun.</b>
With these mid afternoon tides first light will offer limited fishing being 3 hours on the outgoing. A
4:00 am trip to W. Dennis beach could be productive. Yo Juro how are the Herring and Swan
Rivers 2-3 hours below high tide at first light? How about the Red River in E. Harwich Chatham?
Should we sleep in and concentrate on the mid afternoon high tides with maybe a night trip for the
early Sunday A.M. tide? I intend to fish the Sunday 3:44pm high as the last hoorah before leaving.
I'm not a guide and don't play one on T.V. I can show you my few productive schoolie spots but we
need to draw on our collective wisdom to get a good fishing plan. And of course compare notes Sat.
Night to plan Sunday. I may even stay over till monday just to rest before driving home.

Well lets hear it gang.

See less See more
#2 ·
With a seemingly early season on the way, the mornings / evenings could be best spent on the bayside enjoying the ebb and exposure of flats near the Brewster herring runs. I volunteer to show a few folks around on that one if people don't mind the fact that winter may have changed the whole face of the area around and it may be a bit early for bayside antics.

The sound side that time of year will be loaded with fish even for mid-day highs. They'll be there but the question is will they turn it on for a mid-day blitz? I have found them sitting in huge pods in deep holes and could only raise them if I put it right into the pod. None would swim for the fly if you missed the edge by 15 feet. Another day they would only hit poppers. You could see them rafting mid-depth and nothing would get them turned on... but if you popped a banger over them they'd hit it every time.

Terry - don't forget the Stage island channel inside the mouth of Bass River on the W.Dennis beach side, it's a great schoolie hang out around the top of the tide. I'd also recommend spreading out to increase the odds, then rendezvous for lunch to report to each other.

Biggest chances for *large* spring fish in that immediate area include mouth of herring river on outgoing, bayside herring holes, Seagull beach / Parkers river mouth, Stage light inlet at 3am - daybreak, and I'll wait on the rest for private discussions

Hopefully I'll provide additional bunks... gotta work out sibling rivalries, et. al. before I commit to it to avoid false promises.

THANKS for all the work Terry!

#3 ·
Thanks for the update Terry.

Right now we have Nate & Jeff G., I'll check with Pete this weekend & see if we can fit in any more.

I plan on gettin to Pocasset mid-day and doing a little fishing before heading over to Dennis, I will try to get everyone into my truck to cut down on traffic.

Juro,

Brewster would be a great experience. Would that be the right place for mid day?

I'm hitting the salt for the first time Sunday - I hope the weather holds.....

Roop

#6 ·
Terry,

Sounds good. I'll probably head down Friday afternoon (work-load permitting), so I can get the boat down & not have to deal with heavy traffic times. Just started my keel repair; used Marine-Tex epoxey, now have to let set, sand and mail order the keel-strip.

#7 ·
Ran into our friend Dave pritchard at the UFT meeting the other night. Some of you may remember Dave from the Rhody Clave and other boards. Dave is interested in joining our Clave. We have at this point crossed the line into not enough bunks opening up. Someone had a chance of getting a cottage in Marston Mills. Any chance still? I think it may be time to start listing a local motel or 2 in Dennis that may have some off season rates. Anyone want to make some phone calls? 1 or 2 motels to recommend for future Clavers would be a help, I will add them to the site. We need 3 bunks at this point.

TerryW

#8 ·
Terry -

Very glad to hear Dave is interested!

I'll start puttin on the pressure to get bunks at the family place. Also, I'd be happy to split a room at the Salt Meadow or one of the many affordable places along the rte 28 stretch if it comes to that. Another option is to camp at Nickerson state park a few exits down rte 6, it's a great campground with plenty of trout fishing too.

Looking forward to this event, great job Terry.

Juro

#9 ·
Since we've gone beyond the available free space for lodging I just added some info on cheap Motels and Camping as alternatives. I hope people still think it's worth it to come for the price of a night or 2. I got all the contact numbers and such at:

<a href="http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html#Lodging" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html#Lodging</a><!--auto-->

TerryW

#11 ·
Just talked to the new owner of the Salt Meadow in W. Harwich. He says a room with 2 beds is $50 for the night. TV and mini fridge too.
See the Clave board for contact info.
<a href="http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html#Lodging" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html#Lodging</a><!--auto-->
Terry

#12 ·
Nice guy, I've referred folks to him a lot. He bought the place from the previous couple a few years ago. It's a nice quiet cottage-like room 1/2 block from the Herring River near the mouth and night fishing should be a no-brainer if you get the urge. There's a breakfast place across the street.

For a little more $$, you can split a room along the beach between Herring River mouth and Swan River mouth like Sea Shell motel, which is at the third jetty from the mouth (west). You should be able to spot fish from the room.

Even more $$ is the Red Jacket at the mouth of Parkers' which is a great early season herring run striper spot - but the better fishing is on the Seagull beach side if you ask me (a five minute drive).

Any of the places on 28 in Yarmouth on the west side of Bass River should be offering very competitive rates (Hunter's Green, etc) this time of year.

Don't rule out our cottage, I just can't say I can take people at this point when the family is as anxious as we are to get down the Cape!

juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.