Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eyes II

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Well I tried a couple of suggestions for attaching eyes. Most persons recommended Goop and it works very well, but I find it hard to control. When using small eyes I invariably end up getting it on my fingers and after 5 or 6 more eyes stick to me than the flies, and then theres the long string tails. Over all it works very well but I wouldn`t want to have to do quantity with it. I really liked the suggestion for Loon UV Knot Sense, I swear by this stuff for leader connections and knots. I`ve never had a pig tail come back since I started with it. It`s easy to work with, not messy and lends itself to doing many flies in a row. The little UV light dosen`t cure it completely very well but enough to set them in a piece of foam and leave them on a sill the next day and they look perfect.
I guess I`ll use both techniques until I hear of somthing better. I hear Bob Pops is working on somthing new that may replace all of this, but it`s still in the development stage as of yet.
Slinger

#2 ·
One thing that did not come up last time was the use of a 'gill plate' or cheek-like piece to glue onto per Page's Bigeye Baitfish style. I have used both the called for plates per Page Rogers and made my own out of clear materials with good success, in fact I hooked the largest striper of my life on a big bunker with eyes glued onto leaf-shaped plastic "cheeks".

The fish got the fly and a good portion of my fly line after it got my line though the rocks at the end of a jetty but not until I had attracted a crowd with this monster on a 9wt.

Anyway it's another way to mount eyes.

#10 ·
Ed is clearly one of the top practitioners of the salty surf and whats more a proficient writer and communicator. I find his book to be much more informative than a lot of the anecdotal / unstructured books out there.

I've had some friendly debate about two-handed fly rods on the beach with him, you can guess which side of the discussion I took :D

My only gripe about posting his website address here is that he doesn't list us at all on his links page :lildevl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.