Fly Fishing Forum banner

`threadline' `eyes' ?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hammer 
#1 ·
i have some large double salmon hooks , i'm not satisfied with my tying results so far,spent years tying 4's /smaller,,,although i'm certain if i clipped the TUE and used `threadline' for a `gut' type eye,bent the shank slightly i'd be happy and maybe the fish as well :wink: ,,,what methods are you using to assure the `gut',stays put,epoxy?====and it seems the easy way would be to lay the `gut' along the top/bottom of the double shank shank yeilding a verticle eye,any thoughts on this as well? ,these are hardcore fishing flies to be swung with spey rods not presentation :)

#2 ·
Hammer,

I've been fishing with flies tied on blind eye hooks for about 5 years with the 20# braided mono tied to the shank with 6/0 Danville or 8/0 Uni-Thread and then simply cementing the windings with ordinary head cement. I've not had one pull loose. Remember 150 years ago epoxy and super glues didn't exist and they were using blind eye hooks without having the eyes pull out. And all they used to hold the gut to the hook was fine silk thread and the cements they had available.

#3 ·
thanks for the info

but,,uhhh,there are many head cements,i've used automotive clear lacquer for tying for years,,,works great,you can regulate the dry or flash time by using diferent solvents,adding acetone will make it flash instantly and it's quite thick to start with,making a nice head if you want that,however that's just about come to an end,can't seem to find any!!! bought some cabinet lacquer for my oars,it's all solvent,smells badly, doesn't dry,just bad all around,i have some 20lb test threadline made by berkley,it's pretty greasy feeling stuff ,that's the fear,whipping a bunch of flies up,then discovering i made a mistake,i always let the flies breath for at least a day,i'll build some hooks tomorrow with devcon epoxy,and the thread,then tie,if you hear shrapnel flying overhead midweek,you'll know i failed :D

#5 ·
Speyflyfisher,

I know Aaron has it at his shop, River Run Angler's, as does Kaufmann's and both of them are sponsors of the site. Just ask for 20# Cortland Braided mono shooting line, it comes in 100' spools. Make sure you get the clear and not the fl. yellow.

Hammer,

I don't think Berkley thread line is braided mono. I think it is bradied gel spun. The braided gel spuns don't hold well, so I'd be very careful about using it. Braided mono in 20# or regular dacron fly line backing in 30# work best.

#6 ·
never worked the hooks

did yardwork,, :( ,but that's why i posted the question,the one thing about the berkley whiplash or fireline ,,whatever the name,it does look sort of like the gut of old,shouldn't `stick out',but it's pretty slick feeling,the braided mono would be a more open weave for sure,allowing a penetration of any adhesives,we'll see,i'm going to do some hooks up tomorrow before it warms up,feels sweaty at 48 degrees! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.