Fly Fishing Forum banner

I have a new fly designer

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  loco_alto 
#1 ·
Went down to Montesano and spent a long weekend on the Wynoochee. Sspent 3 beautiful days in the sun with my girlfriend and my two kids. Did some fishing, but also did mostly other fun activities with them. (went to he ocean, played games, etc). Well, there's no power down there, just a woodstove for heat and propane for lights. SO when it got dark we'd sit around, read, adnI got soe fly tying ddonee. My kids love to tinker, so I let them fidle around trying to tie. My daughter had a fly she wanted me to make. Of course, when it's al done, she gives iit to me. She has quite th wild imagination, and to say the least this fly was prety wwild loking.

Put the fly in my flybox (always do when i first tie them so kids feel happy about me having them). Well, we're down fishing and having litle lucck. My daughter says "Dady, you should really try my fly, it's a fish getter". It's just a relaxing day, so I appease my daughter by tying on her fly. Low and behold, 5th swing of the fly through the hole prduces a nice 12lb nate buck. Slammed it hard iin fact. Fly line stopped and was yanked under. All I could get from my daughter was an exciting "See Daddy, I told you it was a fish getter fly". I'm gonna sit her down at my bench from now on and help me design flies. :D

In case you're curious wht this fly looks llike, it was spun on a stanndard fly hook, tied with red thread.
a full grizzly hackle tied as tail (about 2 inches long)
then you palmer in about 2 turns of natrual rabit strip on butt section.
Two G.P> breast feathers I think (the metallic green ones) tied body bag style right covering the palmered rabit (basically it covers rear sectin of hook.
Then spin chinse red yarnall the ay to upturn of eye of hook.

Add two of thenatural red G.P. flaank (i think) featherstied body bag style at very front of hook. Finish off with your head and tha's it. I'll have to get a picture of it. Will tie up another one though, the ifs demolished the original.

See less See more
#2 ·
hee hee thats awsome Jerry.. It sure put's an end to the notion that the pattern really matters.. Nothing could be more unconventional that what you described and it just goes to show. Steelhead do not care! put it in their view when they are feeling frisky and you'll get hooked up. I hope you took your daughter to Dairy Queen after that..

#3 ·
All Roderick Haig Brown stated many years ago

"There will be more fish caught on yarn wrapped on a hook in a given year than flies"

I paraphrased a little, but essentially that was what he said and I somewhat beleive he was right at least for PNW fish. Great lakes fish I think are another matter, need more natural looking nymphs on many waters and they are selective at times not hitting one nymph, go through the run with another nymph, and you may be catching them all day.

Small yarn egg type flies are the ticket here normally, unless it is high colored water, than could use the PNW larger yarn types flies.

My friend tried this once on a high water michigan river, I was laughing at him unitl he pulled out an 11 pound buck on the second cast with a largeyarn and corkie type pattern. So they will hit them at times.

General rule is to go natural and small, 4-6 lb leaders. and hang on through the log jams and deep pool bends if you can!

"Such is the sum of our challenge" Another great RH Brown line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.