Fly Fishing Forum banner

up-side-down nymphs (bubble nymphs)

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  frhugh 
#1 ·
What do you think of these nymphs ? Or rather of the way they are tied, as with this method you can adapt about every known pattern to swim hookbent-up.
(they perform very well, I asked many trout and other species)
Like to hear from you.
AdrianV

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can honestly say that I've never seen a nymph tied that way before. It looks like a bead strung on a piece of mono, which is then secured at both ends.

I know some fish that get pounded on a regular basis that might like these, just because they're so different.

Very cool! :)

#3 ·
Bubble nymphs

Thanks Mark,

The ones shown here were tied on TMC T400 hooks. These are , as far as I know, only available in sizes 10, 12 and 14 (so not that very small). But it's form looks as if made especially for it. If interested I can post two patterns (Montana-type and Pheasant tail type) with which most nymphs can be adapted to this "bubble-type".
Íf you are gone use them I would like to know about your results.

Adrian

#6 ·
other hook brands

Daiichi makes a swimming nymph hook in bronze with a profile very similar to that depicted in the photos. The model number is 1770 and it is available in sizes 6 through 16. If you call Daiichi direct at 800.332.3305 and ask nicely they may send a sample pack for you to try.

If a shorter body is desired, one may want to experiment with the 2170 (1x short, bent shank, standard wire, straight-eye). It's not available in the same size range nor does it have as pronounced of a bend but it may work when smaller beads are used to make smaller nymphs while still having a decent-sized gape to hold fish.

Very nicely tied and ingenious pattern, by the way.

Regards,
Don Johnson
Daiichi Pro Staff

#10 ·
Bubble nymphs

Sorry guys about the late reply,
The beads are tied with a (flattened) piece of mono underneath the hook.
They fit in nicely in the bent-shape of these hooks. It's a quite simple way of tying in fact. After securing the bead you can tye the rear part of the nymph as usual. If you get close to the bead you can tye in the legs by using a dubbing loop. This loop can be wrapped around the hookshank, behind the bead (on top a bit more to the front of the fly), or around the top of the bead itself. If you do so you must make sure to leave this top of the bead, closest to the shank, as clear as possible. If not the loop will slip over the bead. Finishing the thorax is standard again.
What I like most about this system is that it's very simple, highly effective and that it might be a challenge for fly tiers to adapt known successful patterns into up-side down ones, which I aspect to be even better. For the patterns I tried it works great (Montana, Pheasant Tail and some un-identified owns patterns, as the second pic shows) I'm always curious about your adapted patterns to this tying style.
BTW I am thinking about contacting some magazines now to see if they are interested in some publications in order to share it more widely.
rgds Adrian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.