Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rigging for Billfish

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FleshFly 
#1 ·
In March, me and a buddy are going to Roatan, Honduras for some fishing. Although bluewater is not the main purpose of our trip, the lodge we are staying at, has recently aquired a 31' boat that looks perfect for billfish (outriggers, etc.). They do, however, have little to no experience with trolling for billfish, teaser setups etc. Flyfishing for billfish they know even less about. We do have some experience from a couple of trips to Costa Rica and Mexico last year, so in general I think we can get it almost right. While in Costa Rica, we always had at least one teaser out which in addition had a baitfish attached to it....with no hook, of course. The mate on the boat rigged these fish using dental floss, copper wire, etc.. We didn't pay close enough attention to how he did this rigging, so I was wondering if any of you experienced bluewater guys can point me to a source, preferably on the net, for how we stitch these baits together. I remember some neat cross stiching, etc. which I think must have been to reinforce the bait to better handle the high speed trolling as well as the attacks from, in our case, sailfish.

I have read what Trey Combs write about rigging baitfish for teasers, but without any illustrations to go by, I got easily lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Inge

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.