Fly Fishing Forum banner

Broken string

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I tried. But despite my effort the string of March bass was broken when the fish refused to leave the relative comfort of the outflow from the electric company. Last week I was wishin but this week I thought I had a real shot at some. Hit the right spot at the right tide and fished the right flies, all for 0. I guess the season really is gonna be pushed back. One plus, the flat was loaded with mummies this week.
Slinger

#2 ·
slinger-FWIW I generally guage the striper activity early in the spring by the stage of the buds on the wild cherry tree in my back yard. Last year at this time th ebuds were opening and the fish were cooperative but this year the buds are still closed up tight, so it didn't surprise me that you found 0 fish. In fact when this tree begins to sing with bumble bees going for the flowers I generally find my first fresh fish with lice. Ron

#4 ·
When I was 17 or 18 a mentor of mine, Aubert SMITTY Smith of the Rod Builder's Workshop, taught me the cherry blossum trick - which applies directly to our region like clockwork. Don't be fooled by apple blossoms, although there will be fish around then when the cherry trees bloom the fish are in solid in New England.

As far as my mentor... well he's still smelling the roses as they say :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.