Fly Fishing Forum banner

2004 Fishing Partners ?

7K views 67 replies 11 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
New additions to the family today Siberian Reds Husky Pups.

Two brothers from the same litter, 11 weeks old. Parents are both show dogs and pedigree etc.

If you see a spey fisher in 2004 on a Michigan river with two siberians its probably me. Suppose one could guard the upper and one the lower part of the drifts as I work may way through.

A side benefit is there coat and tails have fine thick hair, reminds me of polar bear !!. Hmmm possibly another source of hair wing material, they shed twice a year, guess who will picking up their hair?

Note that one is light and one is darker, good color combo possibilities.

Siberians are great family dogs, looks like my boys have named them Blaze (red coat) and Shane (white coat).

Twas a very interesting christmas morning here with the breeders who are from Kalamazoo, Michigan who we had not met before, the two husky parents and their four pups, of which we now have the two brothers sleeping upstairs.

Merry christmas and happy new year to all !!

PM Out

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Peter,

I was out voted 4-1 on everything. (Wife and 3 sons won out on all decisions).

Oh well the tail hairs look excellent for hair wings and the body fur excellent for some dubbing material.

Plus if I cannot walk out on the snow and ice covered fisherman trails up in Michigan I will just let them drag me out, they love to run and pull. :D

Thats a couple of years away though, they are just playful pup brothers now.

PM Out

#7 ·
Malcolm

I am inprocess of reading the Shewey book and will have some questions for you.

There are a couple of spey/dee patterns I have to learn how to tie. They have distinct possibilities on some of our waters and of course will move me to a higher plane in the GLs spey fly fisherman clan. I don't want to be called "sacrilegous" forever using my nymphs on the spey rod you know. I have sensitive feelings and ethics about these things you know.

They are friendly little buggers running around playing with each other in the snow this morning out in the back yard. Won't show them the scissors for a while.:chuckle: :chuckle:

Cheers,

PM Out

#9 ·
1/2" gap rule? No gaps larger than 1/2"? Anti-snagging rule I suppose.

Looks like we're all in a rut as I Santa brought me Shewey's book as well. I've been using commerical burnt hackles but this is the first time I've read about how it's done. Nice to know.

There are a fair number of spey tiers in this neck of the woods, doing both fancies and traditionals. They fish the traditionals. I doubt I could bring myself to fish a fly that took so much effort to do right - especially with my liberal tendency of contributing to the RBBP.

#10 ·
Yes michigan adopted 9/1/02 1/2 inch hook gap max anti snagging rule on all andramous rivers. No weight below the fly has also been in effect. No scented flys or scents on you in the fly fish only and no kill sections.

I have to go through my pre trip regulation compliance control check list before each trip now.

I am the same on the spey flies cannot get myself to use them most of the time when I know they are going to end up in a sunken log. To much time to tie them and then lose them so quickly.

PM Out

G
#12 ·
Spiders/popsicles are easy to tie and draw in the fish. I would not even think of buying jungle cock or any of the exoctics, too much hassle.

Shewey's book is a good one, he also sells all the feathers, threads, etc that one would need. His marabou is top flight.

#15 ·
I used to be a deadly spoon and spinner fisher in my younger days ? :D :D

Have not thrown spinners for steelhead in a river since 1981 or 1982. I think it is a deadly technique if you know how to do it just drives them crazy seeing that come in front of them.

PM Out

#19 ·
Maybe I should buy some spinners from you and pack the spinning rod for those desparation days. These of course would be for my 15 year old son who I want to take steelhead fishing soon. I will make sure no one around me has a digital camera nor knows who I am. Don't want any flicks showing up on the forumn like other members in good standing have been subjected to recently. :D :D

PM Out

G
#20 ·
If memory serves, RHB would carry both rods (spin and fly) when he went out.

If I have any parts laying around they are yours. Won't take long to build them. They are packed away with my cardinal 4's and cardinal 3's somewhere.

#21 ·
I have summer flies that have been swung over several seasons and brought fish to them reliably but have never been lost to a stone or log, and surface flies that have lasted even longer.

Some of my spey flies seem to have lasted in my box 'too long'. Although they have caught fish I often retire them for a freshly tied version because the hook gets tarnished on the clips or the dressings get tired after a few gnarly bucks eat them.

Did the spinners get snagged up on the bottom and on logs too?

G
#24 ·
Juro,

We would snag at times but the were easy to get back. Think of a bow and arrow, bend your rod into a bow than twang you line a few times. More often than not they would come back I used to uy the parts and build them, so at .40 each losing 1 or 2 a day was no bother. Our rivers (really creeks NW Indiana) are not that big and deep, so you could if you wished wade out and get them.

In reality I did not lose too many due to the bottom, lost more in the jaws of fish than anything else.

WD,

Sometimes mutts are the best dogs of all. Had a samoyed and collie mix that was the best dog I ever had.

#26 ·
mjyp said:
Willie,

Sometimes the past comes back to haunt us.

I can say this swinging a spinner is so much like swinging a fly. Thats probably why I am so bloody good..:smokin:
Which accounts for my results as I spent my misbegotten youth chucking red devils for pike and jitterbugs for bass.

Like to know how Juro keeps his flies. Either he skates 'em across the top or the PNW is so organized, they have someone cleaning the snags off the river bottom before the beginning of each season.

:hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.