Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod weight vs Line weight

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Stimulator07 
#1 ·
All,

I just bought a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) 2wt 6' rod. I already have a 3wt TFO 7'6" rod which I use 3wt line on.

I figured I could use the 3wt line on my new 2wt rod. Anyone have opinions on this stuff?

I'll get to test it out this weekend! Can't wait.

#3 ·
Sounds like a good idea. It will load with less line out, and that is not a bad thing if the casts are short (like under 25'). Or maybe he rod will feel over lined, and you'll have to get a two weight.

#4 ·
I'm never a proponent of overlining a rod. I'm sure it will work, but how well is the question? If you're going to spend the money on a rod, then get the right line for it. Just my .02.

#5 ·
Give it a try and see for yourself. "Up-sizing" by one line size is common practice and you may like the results -or you may not. I wouldn't worry about any excessive loading on your rod from the heavier line. Most modern graphite rods will accomodate a variation of a couple of line sizes without too much loss in in performance.

It's much much better to simply try it out than base your decision on what a bunch of (us) yahoos will tell you on the internet.

#6 ·
When you look at the actually weight difference between rod/line sizes there's not all that great a difference. It all depends on the amount of line beyond the rod tip and maybe the speed of your casting stroke. Overloading a rod by a line size will not make a great difference at least untill 40 ft or so(maybe longer). I've done this for years without adverse effect. Graphite is very forgiving. I've a;ways felt that rod makers should designate rods in multiple weights but then they would sell less rods.

Millerbrown

#7 ·
teflon_jones said:
I'm never a proponent of overlining a rod. I'm sure it will work, but how well is the question? If you're going to spend the money on a rod, then get the right line for it. Just my .02.
It's not about the money... it's about finding the right combination. We are leaving tomorrow so I'll get to try the 3wt line on my TFO 2wt rod! Later on I'll try the 2wt and find out for myself. Just wanted to hear other people's experiences... thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.