Fly Fishing Forum banner

reel suggestions

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  The French guy 
#1 ·
i am looking to get a reel for an 8 weight that can be used in salt and fresh water
price range around $200
thanks

#5 ·
Large arbor? Oh, you should have said so in the first place. I'm sure that there are other options out there, but I just received my LLBean flyfishing catalog in the mail yesterday and they have a few that fit your price range.

I'm moving this thread to the Gear Forum so you can get more potential hits there.

#6 ·
You might take a look at Albright also - a new company who are making a splash at the flyfishing shows this year. Their GP model is a L/A and retails for $125. They look to be well made with a nice drag - someone mentioned that they are former Reddington guys.

Like Mark said already, many of the lower priced options will work fine for Saltwater but you must look after them ;)

#16 ·
Look at Storm Reels from South Africa. Their currancy is such that you get a great buy for the dollar. Can be bought in the low $200's. Has the feel of a reel costing twice as much. Eats the Old Fl Reels for lunch. If you get the natural alum color it will be stage 3 anodized. I dropped one of mine the other day on a tile floor. Not a scratch. It's also a large arbor but not as large as the Bauers.

#17 ·
I was planning on doing some business with Michael Georgiadis (Storm reel) in the past. Wanted him to build a 5" reel with my specs under 250 dollars. This reel never made it as the price ended for more... Then I was supposed to be their reps with a friend of mine but Michael choose another retailer.

I have seen them, tested them and the quality is indeed good. What I like the most is the use of bushings (no ball bearings) and one way bearings with a system similar to Bauer reels. Bushings never fail, ball bearings do.
The reel is still a little bit on the heavy side and if he improved a lot the aesthetic there is still some work to do.
The biggest problem is the warranty which is only 5 years. And I told him he should extend it at least to 25 years. It is also still unsure whether the company will be present in the future. Michael works also in the weapons industry...

Overall, the person is talented and has an aggressive marketing policy. The reels are strong and dependable. I personally do not think they compete with Old Florida reels in terms of quality. They do compete for price though and especially if you are planning on changing the reel after 5 years or eventually pay to fix it (sending it back to South Africa).

If there is one weak alternative to Old Florida reels, this is indeed the reel... and to a lesser extent the Bauer imitation from Omoto reels (South Korea, non T6061 aluminum reel, sold under the name Taimer, Australia, NZ, and Enigma, UK... busted out of the US because of patent problems and sold under the Bass pro conservationist reels).

Serge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.