Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hook up for deerhair bugs?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vtloon 
#1 ·
Any body got any ideas on how to get deerhair bugs to consistently float hook up?
I tried trimming the hair so the hook side was more bouyant which worked for awhile. Once the fly gets waterlogged it stopped riding hook up.
Also, what do you guys do to go weedless?

#5 ·
popper said:
I tie them so that they are supposed to float hook down. That consistently gets them to float hook up. :hihi:
:chuckle: Good answer!

One problem I've encountered when trying to tie a "hook up" or keel-style fly (and some other weedless designs) is that the materials and/or weedguard seem to interfere with my ability to hook the fish. I haven't tried Jared's scum fly design yet but it looks promising.

The fly line and the mechanics of retrieving a fly also make it a challenge to fish in scum and lily pads. With spinning and baitcasting gear you can fish the lure on top and keep the line out of the water. That doesn't quite work with flyfishing.

Q

#6 ·
Quentin said:
:

The fly line and the mechanics of retrieving a fly also make it a challenge to fish in scum and lily pads. With spinning and baitcasting gear you can fish the lure on top and keep the line out of the water. That doesn't quite work with flyfishing.

Q
That's it exactly! Even with my "hook up sometimes" and mono loop weed guard, my deerhair bugs cruise right over/through the lilies. It's the flyline which gets caught by the pads. So far the only solution that works is to stay close enough to use the rod to hold the line up off the pads. That's OK, but as I usually share a canoe with a spin fisher, we never seem to be as close as I'd like.
There has got to be a better way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.