Fly Fishing Forum banner

Saybrook / Niantic 10/1

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  steelheadmike 
#1 ·
Picked up the boat finally on 10/1 in Westbrook and took her up to the CT river in Saybrook. No sooner did we get out of the harbor my uncle and I ran into bluefish. Nothing big but lots of them. After 2 hours of nonstop action and one minor bite on my finger we strolled to Bartlette's Reef in Niantic. Nothing hapening there! Lots of birds on the water but nothing going on. Must have missed the action. Headed back to Saybrook around 4:30pm and the number of blues around quadrupled since earlier. Spent the next 2 hours with fish on every cast. Although we did not encounter any Stripes or Alberts, still had a fantastic day on the water.

#2 ·
Sounds like a great trip! Were the blues up in the river or just around the mouth? Think there'd be any decent action at the causeway?

Q

#4 ·
Thanks Mike,

My coastal access guide doesn't show anything for that area. Is there any shore fishing there? I recall seeing a foot/bike path to the lighthouse but I never checked it out so I don't know if you can get to the water that way.

Q

#5 ·
Not sure

I'm not really sure Quentin. I thought I saw a oath out there but I did not see a sole out there on foot. I was trying to check it out but could not tell. It looks like there is a creek that comes in about 100-200yds west of the Light house where the houses stop on the beach. If you could find the creek you probably could walk it down and fish. There looks like some nice rocks / structure there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.