Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhody Clave - when is it?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
I have missed most of the get togethers this year - due mostly to baseball games. I do not intend to miss the Rhody Clave, but have not seen anything on it recently. I want to make sure I have those days nailed down on my planners.

Does anyone have a firm date?

Dave

#2 ·
I agree, this is one I don't want to miss. The sooner we can agree on a date the better. Looks like it was 10/21 & 22 last year. There were some big fish at deep hole the Friday before and things were spotty over the weekend. Maybe we want to move it up a week this year but the new moon is the weekend of 10/13-14 the weekend before would mean weaker tides. Either weekend is sure to be a blast anyway. There are some good threads from last year. Search for rhodyfest under the saltwater-stripers/costal section.

#5 ·
Whoever decides to step up to the task should feel empowered to lead the charge! Anyone interested in being on the planning council?

Unlike last year when I was over 3000 miles away, I should be able to make it this year. Had a blast in '99 and I am looking forward to attending this year.

I definitely want to investigate the outer Napatree mecca ;)

#8 ·
I'll volunteer to organize meals. I'll do cobbler for Sat. dinner and Michael will do the garlic mashed potatoes he did last year.

NEEDS:

Dinner:
Pre-meal munchies: chips, dips, etc....
A couple of main dish type things - chili, stew, kabobs, steak-tips, fish ;) , etc.....
Desert things: cobbler (done), cookies, etc....
Some side dish things - potatoes (done), rice pilaf, zatarans, vegies, salad, bread, etc....

Brunch (convenient to camp breakdown):
Your basic brunch things - eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, pancakes, etc...

Coffee

Other needs:
Stoves - 4 burners
Grill
Cooking utensils
Pots/pans
Clean up items - towels, soap, scrubbers
Plastic utensils
Disposable plates/cups
Trash bags
Coolers/ice

#9 ·
Since there is no boat ride involved here, I can bring the kitchen sink as the saying goes.

[#]2 tables[#]CLEAN portable gas grill ;)[#]lantern (need a few more)[#]large food cooler[#]large fish cooler[#]ice[#]Pogie oil ;-)[#]lots of paper plates[#]plastic utensils[#]pot scrubbers[#]dish soap[#]large tarp[#]first aid

And anything you want me to buy from your food list Gregg.

Art - is the Rhody oversand permit available to out-of-staters?

#10 ·
First Juro, Beach permits are available to non residents, your $50 is as good as mine. I would transport various people to different parts of the shore. Tomorrow I will get my permit out of my truck and list the requirements. I was on the beaches yesterday afternoon some need some cleanup work which I think took place today. I bottomed out on wood twice on Watch Hill Beach yesterday. When Pete L, my son and I worked the coast they were catching 3 to about 6 lb bluefish on Misquamicut. East Beach was the same. Charlestown had a mix of bass and blues. As far as the date goes, the earlier from now on the better, especially if you want false albacore. The twelveth of the month the breachway of Quonny had bass, shad, snappers, and false albacore. on the dropping tide in the am. There was some large bass underneath the snappers, large enough to break 20 lb mono. I saw the action so I know it is true. That night bass were taken to 20 lbs.
I am hoping that I can make it to the RI Clave and will do anything to help, but things have been peaking in late September. October, appears to have a fall off to smaller fish. Whatever you decide, is OK by me, and if you want me.

#11 ·
Thank you Art!

Great advice, I will defer to the majority rule. I am going to pick up an oversand for that weekend though, maybe we can chip in and I can pile people into my pickup truck.

Good input to the planning process. Look forward to fishing with you Art!

#13 ·
I'll bring
Clean small gas grill
(maybe a little crusty but no lower life forms growing in it)
3-burner stove
'Heat the Hut Beans'
Orange Juice
Trash bags
2 medium sauce pans
Lg. fry pan
1 lg. stock pot
Kitchen sink (in the camper)
Lg spoons, spatula, tongs.
Colapsible 5 gal. water jug
Rope
sm folding table

Let's add firewood to the list of items wanted, if it's chilly we'll want plenty of it.
Greggo, that afterburner you were talking about at the Boneclave would be great for boiling water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.