Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhody Clave First Report

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 · (Edited)
Heard from Jim W who was out in his boat today...Some Blues off Watch Hill...He will be taking a shot at Montauk in the am..water at Sandy Point was dirty..looks like the decision not to yak that area was a good one...we should have some phone reports from a little East of that area tomorrow evening :lildevl:

#27 · (Edited)
Chris, I think the "SPOT" to which Phil refers was the Sat AM spot that Fishhawk found and Drew caught the fish with the Brookes Blonde...I heard that Adrian did well with another traditional technique.... :lildevl: floating line & droppers :lildevl:

#30 ·
The "Spot" is an area I had never fished before although I recall walking the beach a few times in the past. Needless to say, I will be giving it a little bit more attention in future. :smokin:

I am guessing that the bigger fish had been in residence for some time since they all had a deep bronze sheen whereas the smaller schoolies were bright silver.

I am away for the next couple of week-ends but I can't imagine things are going to shut down before the end of November along our Southern New England coastline, unless the weather really does a number on us. I hear the ski season is getting started in the Berkshires :Eyecrazy:

#31 ·
Chris said:
I see, It certainly was "the spot" Saturday for sure. It was a good time maybe we'll get into the albies next time. I missed Adrian's comment about the knucklebusters.
Looks like next year we should sleep all day and fish all night!!!! I'm pretty excited about those keel hooks Adrian was using. Excellent idea! The dropper on the floater was working really well. Those flies where unlike any I've ever seen as well. He knows fishing and really knows the science. Great obervation on coloration. Hang around in that brown water long enough and you are bound to stain!

Phil

#32 ·
My appologies to the rest of the crowd for wimpin out.
This event was cursed for me from the start when my plans to bring the boys fell through.
It went downhill from there.
Long night, no sleep. Long walk, no fish. Boots leaking, feet hurting, freezing numb fingers. Stand in ice water, ignore frozen feet, cast, cast, cast. No fish. Endless walk back to car on stumps of frozen feet, can't get car open, fingers can't work key. :(

After a gallon of coffee thawed me out I decided the fishing was a bust and decided to get a wet suit and go snorkling. Sounds crazy after wimpering about the cold but trust me, I was a hell of lot warmer under the water than I had been out on Napatree.
Snorkling wasn't very good with poor vis and not one single striper where I usually see many. No bait either. :rolleyes:

Once I got out of the water I found I had phone messages telling me dinner was moved up. By the time I changed and showered it was about 7:00 and I had pretty much missed dinner. I had a few pieces of pizza and that's when the day caught up to me. I was only drinking gingerale so I thought it would be embarassing if I were to fall out of my chair. I bailed at that point went to my motel room and slept untill 10:00 AM. For me the best [and only] fish of the clave were caught on ESPN. Nailed a half dozen trophy whitetails with my second coffee too. :eek:

#33 ·
Good to meet you Saturday Mike and sorry we didn't get to fish together.

I'll have to chat to you about snorkelling sometime. I did a lot of it in Greece many years ago and often thought it would be interesting to check out some of the favorite striper haunts with a mask and fins sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.