Fly Fishing Forum banner

I could use some help

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
I'm starting to come to grips with the fact the the striper season is just about over. Normally I kick over to trout mode using ultralight spin gear and yes I'll fess up to the power egg cast and wait method too. This year I'd like to get into fly fishing for trout and land locks. My questions are numerous but I'll stick with equipment for now. I'll be fishing primarily on open water not streams, at least not yet. Should I go with a 4,5,or 6wt. I was leaning toward the 5wt in a 9'. Would the 5wt be enough in the wind? Will floating line cover most of my needs or should I use an intermediate instead or additionally?

#2 ·
Jim a 9' 5wgt. would be fine for your needs - if you're doing a lot of ponds maybe get a spare spool with a sink tip but the floater will do you well. If the wind kick you around too much, overline to a 6wgt.

you're right on track - good luck

#3 ·
Jim, Having a 4, 5, and 6 weight I can say that if I were restricted to one all purpose trout rod I'd go for the five weight. It splits the difference between the 4's presentation and the 6's larger fish/wind capabilities. I'd get an 8'6" rod, but thats because I fish brushy streams more than stillwaters.

The line I fish 95% of the time is a weight forward floater. I am not a fan of intermediate lines for freshwater so the other 5 % of the time I use either a sink tip or a full sink line. If I fished more stillwaters I would probably use the sinking line more. Also, there is a much better selection of sinking lines for 5 or 6 weights than 4 weights.

#4 ·
I will do my usual trout fishing on certain Cape ponds ,like Goose and School house in Chatham.. My line wait is a 6 and I use the sink tip but have a floater in my pocket. I find at this time of year and at least at those ponds I need to get down even with the occational rise I see here and there.

#5 ·
Jim -

I agree with above on the 5wt 8.5 ft - 9.5ft is better for ponds in float tubes, 7.5 ft is better for tiny streams etc - but the 8.5 is great all-around.

Floating line does most of the work, sinking next for streamers and nymphs. Intermediate rarely used but it probably has a place.

You have a lot of great trout fishing in your area too! You might even hook a big brood salmon in Long pd.

#11 ·
I like a 9' 5wt. for open rivers and ponds, especially in a canoe or kayak where you are closer to the water, it picks up more line and you need that when you are low in the water.
Tight, close streams I like a 4 wt. 7' to 7.5' soft action they can roll out a small amount of line with the whip in the tip. However they don't turn a larger fish headed for the brush as readily.
Chris

#13 ·
Sully -

I fish a floater and a full sink and must admit sometimes the floater doesn't get to the feeding depth and the full sink requires a fast strip to prevent catching real estate. I used to use a sinktip regularly in rivers out west and thinking back it would be ideal for trout fishing around here. I'm going to add a sinktip to the arsenal, thanks for the reminder.

Boy today and tomorrow would be ideal for some fall trouting. Almost made the turn to check out Thoreau's retreat this morning but my conscience got in the way.

#14 ·
Juro,

what about using one of those sinking braided leaders (loop to loop) to change a floater to a sinktip. Could be a cheaper option (and faster to change) for someone starting on trout...

Does this system work out ok? or does it negatives out weigh its pluses?(I think it does, but then I don't really remember any record breaking catches with it either)

In any case a floating line will most likely be the best investment as they are (in my experience) the most versatile line you can choose.

Mylo

#15 ·
Mylo, I've used several different sinking leaders. One was furled and then had a coating on it. It worked well with a sinktip line, but was very slow sinking with a floater. The others I've used were the Rio series, and IMHO when I used a leader heavy enough to sink the fly at the rate I wanted with a floating line the leader was too stiff for good casting. My fish catching was not improved by using them so I've gone back to standard tapered leaders. I do keep a 1' and a 2' section of LC13 line in my tackle kit in case I hit a spot where more weight is needed to present a fly. I think I've gone 3 years since I last used it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.