Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon Fever

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
If anyone has a couple loose days and can stand an impromptu tarpon trip next week drop me a PM.

Budget minded adventure with a mission to prove aerial recon.

#3 ·
Not sure... things are waaay up in the air right now for me so my status changes from day to day. I will get there eventually this year I suppose, hard to stay away from a place second only to heaven as the Rolle family assures us.

But all I can say after reviewing my previous research materials, aerials, etc for this poon expedition is - WOW.

The percentage of wade-accessible lagoon / canal and beach is low relative to the total tarpon habitat available there... BUT even those 'relative tidbits' are still an insane amount compared to other places I have fished for tarpon and the action in those places was great. I have to believe that I will stumble on the ridiculous at some point along the journey.

I suspect far better fishing here than I have experienced in the past despite lacking the luxury of deep exploration into lagoon structures with boats and guides. In fact solving the puzzle is what excites me most about this sport anyway and there is more than I could sample in what I have planned as it is.

I have confidence that I'll be the first human to present a fly to many virgin tarpon this trip.:smokin:

#6 ·
You haven't seen my french fry fly? :lildevl:

Day one, daybreak... me with a fresh Cuban in the shirt pocket and a long cast from the side. Longer. That's it. Pause. Strip. Stri....... KA BLAM!

Then I will light the cubano, leave these city fish alone and head for the deep lagoon country...

#7 ·
Aerial recon from the dock at Bud and Mary's??????

When I was in the keys my mind was pretty polluted with thoughts of dropping a fly to a school like that. The local Monroe Co. deputy even told me to try it at night. The angel on my shoulder got the best of me.

Get shivers from that pic, and its not because I have the window open to blaze a Grand Puro................

#8 ·
Juro, I saw your post and realized it was time to register and reply on the forum, I don't know exactly what your talking about but I am in the Keys 15-22 with booked fishing 17+18 on the Contents (?) out of Cudjoe Key. I understand I am an unknown to this forum but I can tell you my first casting lesson was with Joe Brooks in the mid 60's and I've been studying ever since.
Chris B.

#9 ·
Chris -

WELCOME! And yes, I am impressed by your choice of casting instructors :) His pearls of wisdom were of great influence to me over the years albeit not face to face (his written works).

Jamey -

Good guess, been to Bud and Marys too... but am not talking about the Keys here. Great tarpon there but few are 'virgin' and the Keys fishery is quite well understood. That's a good thing for anglers of course.

No I am headed to an island where fly fishing is very much in its infancy in fact the focus has been to the bluewater and only a small group have recently started to explore the backwaters for tarpon and snook.

Large (but few) bones prowl the shores as well as permit - many of the areas I have found are quite pristine and I will probably be throwing the first fly into them.

Part of the US still...

#14 ·
Frankly, if I had just a little more time I could have been in Nassau tomorrow and Acklins Wed AM. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule I'd be a day late for the flight to Acklins and need to come home a day too early. Thus the last minute tarpon fling as a consolation prize.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.