Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hobie Mirage Outback SUV

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
I was in LAX the other day and I saw a display by Hobie.
They had a kayak, Hobie Mirage Outback SUV, it was about 12 feet long, a sit on top model and had two foot petals that you could use to propel the yak. Looked pretty good and I was wondering if anyone had any comments about this yak?
Rooster

#2 ·
I have a few thoughts to share about them as I checked them out abit while shoppping for my Kayak.

I like the pedal power as a way to keep your hands free to cast while still being able to paddle forward. Not sure if they work in reverse which could have it's uses.
The flippers or paddles under the yak can be limiting for the very shallow water use. Also if you drop your paddle and don't have it leashed and it sinks, your not stuck without propulsion.

I believe they can be outfitted with a sail, which can be desirable on windy days or long trips. Pretty versatile Kayak in all.

Cheers,
Greg.

#3 ·
I didn't do any more than sit in one and watch someone spin-fishing from one. It's a good idea from several points of view but there were two things that bothered me. One is that when you are paddling you tend to be leaning back quite a bit, which would make it difficult for me to flycast. The other is that the peddle mechanism looks like it would be a flyline magnet.

#4 ·
I have to agree about the peddles being a flyline magnet. Good point Greg.

Also the paddles underneath the Kayak seem like they could collect weeds and other debris if you go over any. I imagine floating over your flyline or having a fish run under the yak would get tangled in those pretty easily.

Greg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.