Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cerise & Yellow Allys' Shrimp

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Malcolm,

As I promised on a different thread; here is a picture of the cerise and yellow Ally's Shrimp. since it is unamed at the moment, I thought of calling it MALCOLJM'S ALLY in honor of you. What say the rest of you, is this a valid name? Let me know herein.

Please note, this is a scanned image and the cerise (fl. red) was distorted to be the much lighter hot pink color.

The pattern is thus:

tail: yellow & cerise bucktail with cerise Krystal Flash
body: cerise Krystal Flash
rib: oval gold
veiling: dyed red grey squirrel tail
wing: dyed hot pink G.P. tippet
collar: cerise rooster neck
head: cerise 6/0 thread

#4 ·
Ted,

I only fish it in winter/spring on clear days when there is some color in the water and sunshine or those bright, overcast days that are so common here in western WA help to light up the flourescent Krystal Flash. Also, I especially like to fish it when the rivers are dropping and clearing after a storm has raised them and dirtied them up.

I only use it in large sizes, #1/0 and bigger. It is fished with a sinktip of appropriate sink rate as dictated by the water depth and speed on a standard downstream swing.

I find the ideal water type to be the throat and tailout of holes or those walking-speed runs that are 3 to 5 feet deep.

The extra flash the cerise Krystal Flash body produces helps attract fish and gets them to move toward the fly.

#5 ·
My first summer-run of the year came to one a Flytyer tied Ally's Shrimp (pink and orange I believe).

I do like this pattern because it is very dense so it sinks really well and it fishes much bigger then it casts (it is easy to cast eventhough it throws off a large profile in the water).

On a side note for Flytyer...a couple weeks ago, I brought a fish to hand on a Flytyer fly (Night Dancer shrimp). I tied it up after seeing him post it in the archive.

#8 ·
Malcolm,

The color in the water can be any of your favorite single malts. Personally, I prefer to have Wild Turkey (the 8 year old stuff) coloring up the branch.

Ryan,

Thanks for the kind words on the Orange and Pink Ally's Shrimp and the Night Dancer Shrimp.

Fred,

Perhaps I should call it Malcolm's Shrimp because it has a more dignified ring to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.