Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mini Candies

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
These flies are small versions of Bob Popovics’ Surf Candy. One day many moons ago, I was frustrated with the lack of response that I was getting from some smallmouths in a Maine river. I went against the grain and tried throwing a 1/0 chartruese Surf Candy, and the results were eye-opening. If fish didn’t hit the fly, they at least showed a lot of interest. This led me to try tying these flies smaller and in colors that are more tailored to fresh water applications.

Hook: 2XL streamer, size 6
Thread: Clear mono
Body: Ultra hair, color to match pattern
Flash: Braided Krystal Flash, color to match pattern
Eyes: Stick-on
Head: One coat of 5 minute epoxy

I only use one coat of the epoxy on the head because I want to maintain the slim profile of a baitfish. By keeping the head profile slim, the flaring of the tail is more pronounced and moves more water as the fly is stripped. The red/yellow pattern seems to be a winning combo for pickeral, the olive/gold is very good for smallmouths, and the blue/orange/yellow combo works well in any waters that have immature sunfish as a food source. The color possibilities are endless, so see what works best in your area.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't believe it,You must have been reading my mind.. I went though my flys down the Cape this weekend and decided to bring my surf candies up .. I wanted to post the tandem flys and then put on the box with the others... then I see yours... very nice... I think the smaller the better.

#8 · (Edited)
John, that must be the problem. While I WAS 'moving and grooving' I was ALSO 'turning and burning', which must have confused the signals I was receiving. No, wait - confusion would have come from trying to figure out what higher ranking (than I at the time) hard-asses were talking about :eyecrazy: instead of doing my own thing :cool:

Guess I should have stopped listening sooner, and I wouldn't have missed out on the 'groove' :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:

Hey, man, you oughta know, I'm cool, I'm groovin', not lookin' to bring anybody down, no bumming out, no prob, brother :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

(Juro - the curmudgeon is my evil twin :devil: )

Mark - do those swim belly down because of hook weight ???

#9 ·
Dave- The flies do swim hook down, just like a conventionally sized candy. I've made them before with a monofilament weed guard, but then stopped because I realized that I don't use these flies in very heavy cover.

With the direction that this thread has gone, maybe we should be calling them "cosmic candies". :p

#10 ·
'Cosmic Candies' - love it :D

Add glitter to second epoxy coat of Thirty Minute, to keep from yellowing, trail several strands Peacock Flashabou over dorsal aspect of epoxy head - new name: 'StarBlaster' or 'Captain Fantastic' or 'Curmudgeon's Curse' :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.