Fly Fishing Forum banner

Albies?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
When do these speedsters arrive on the Cape, generally?

#2 ·
Steve

They'll be here any time now through Spetember. :D

I've caught them second week in October in the South Monomoy rips but that might be an exception.

I'm on the Cape this w/e and will definitely be checking out Stage Harbour inlet at first light.

#3 ·
Bonito around now, albies about 1-2 weeks later but each year is different and it depends on where you look.

Bonito were in the rips (Bearses, etc) two weeks ago, around Monomoy to the east but not in great numbers. West end of the Canal is due for some strong presence, Rhody is already there.

The 'green gators will be on the Cape thru August then the Albies show right after. If I could pick a week I would pick first week in Sept minimum for south cape and October for Rhody as they are all on the way back thru by then down there.

Funny incident: when I was a teen I hooked a bonito in a crowd. I hollered at the group to get out of the way I had a huge fish, but they all laughed and said I got all excited about a mackeral. I said no that little thing is not what's kicking my butt - but indeed it was, and for years I still thought it was a fat mackeral. Back then I didn't know one angler who knew what a bonito or albie was, even today most anglers can't tell the difference in a pinch. They've been around since day one but only recently discovered as a gamefish in our region.

In Florida the sailfishermen call them 'bait'.

#10 ·
Stevo, fished with Jamie when he arrived. He caught a couple of bass, and did get a chance to see some big fish on the flats. Think family commitments are limiting his time on the water.

False albacore are a rush, but no guarantee they will arrive around the elbow on the cape. Last year was phenemonal, the previous year, zilch. There is a lot of bait, but the water temps are a bit low. Last week on the incoming the temp was 59 degrees. They prefer warmer water.

#11 ·
Hi James,

Hope you aren't administering too many lip-piercings on the homewater buddy ;) I say this only because I am having an angling-deprived year.

Stevo -

Hardtails popped up every day I went out at the start of the ebb at the end of Nauset Beach (oversand access) in October. They also made appearances around the rockpile, in fact that's one of the places where I landed an albie from shore over the years.

Mouth of area rivers on the ebb can be amazing for bonito / albies from shore now thru October on the cape. The higher number of sightings will occur on the Nantucket Sound shoreline west being best until the season progresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.