Fly Fishing Forum banner

super bowl

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mylo 
#1 ·
Yesterday was the superbowl so i figured that it would be a good day to go fishing. We planned it a while ago and the weather was supposed to be mild around 38. That was last week, yesterday morning i got up at 5:30 to a couple of inches of snow. I drove 1.5 hours to gary's house in the snow and fog. Went for some food, and drove another hour to cheeseman canyon. The low temp driving in was 18 the high was 23. We saw a herd of elk driving in so took that as a good omen. We hiked about 1 mile over and down the mountain to get to the river. It was really beautiful walking that steep ice covered trail with all of our fishing gear, so peaceful and serene. We fished hard for about 4 hours without a hint of a bite, five casts then clear the ice from the guides. It snowed the whole time, the hike out was easier since the icy trail now had 6 inches of fresh beautiful peaceful serene snow on it. Driving home we stopped for a bio break and got stuck in a snow drift. The ice was packed in around the axels and the truck would not budge. Luckly a guy pulled us out only after breaking his tow chain because we were so stuck. On the way home we saw a herd of mule deer and took that as a good omen. Finally made it home around 6, I can not wait to do it again next year.

#2 ·
Brad -

Glad to hear you got out to fish superbowl sunday... I'll bet few east of the divide can say that, at least until you head south. I can imagine the aspens, birches and pines thick with snow and the water flowing through a virgin landscape. I've been to CO three or four times but haven't fished there yet, next time let's hook up.

Were you wearing elevator felts?

#4 ·
Juro, the next time you come out we will have to hit the water. I am finding that you can catch fish here just about anytime of the year as long as it is not too cold. The tailwaters fish well all winter especially after a warm spell. The hatches really start in march on many of the streams and rivers. I then plan to hit the high lakes during runoff right after iceout. Back to the rivers for the summer and fall. Just let me know when you are coming.
Brad

#6 ·
Why is a herd of elk driving in a good sign? I would have turned tail if I even saw one elk driving in or out!! Is it legal in States for elk to drive....

Mylo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.