Fly Fishing Forum banner

CAROLINA Clave?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Get on priceline.com, find a cheap fare - this is way too fishy to ignore! This November - don't hang 'em up, give them one last workout... 20 lb albies!

Cape Lookout

#5 ·
JohnM (08-06-2001 05:24 p.m.):
So what dates are you looking at ?

John
I used Friday Nov 4th thru Monday Nov 6th as a starting point for the airfare search.

There is a wealth of knowledge in the links to the posts made in the earlier stages of this discussion... particularly from Steve Moore, MattB, Nathan Smith, etc...

Maybe Capt.Dave can help us out too.

#6 ·
Juro,

We talked about this W-A-Y back during the Casting Clave. I had pretty much written off the Idea on an NC Clave for 2001 & was thinking about 2002. But, if there is serious interest, I would be swayed. I think what my work out best is if 4-6 people are really interested, they could go this year & get the scoop (& Fish!). Then maybe do something on a Larger scale in 2002?

My $0.02

#8 ·
Man the thought of 20 lb albies not to mention other species in November, and I assume the temps will be moderate - what a way to kiss the already phenomenal 2001 season goodbye!

This is going to be one of those trips you look back on and say wow.

#11 ·
Juro, we didn't camp out there, so I don't really know what the deal is with camping, especially out where the albie fishing is('the hook'). I know the allow camping on other parts of the island, but the hook is somewhat restricted(no oversand vehicles) so i don't know if camping is restricted too.

The shuttle will take you right to the hook for an additional fee, usually it's $15-$20 a head to get out there, but it seems pretty arbitrary, one day we got charged $30 a head just because the place we were going with knew that the other ferries weren't running that day. Bottom line: the ferry situation is pretty much the antithesis of what you'd expect if you're used to the orderly way in which the rip ryder is run. One of the ferry drivers was notorious for just not showing up at work some days.

-Matt

#12 ·
I honestly think a clave for shore could be a waste of time. Matt experience there last year I would call the exception. The hook is pretty good but they may not swim past. You could spend a few day for nothing. I would really focus on getting a boat.

I don't know if I can make a trip down there. I have this September trip to CO. It is a great trip though and I wish I could go with you. Also Camping on the hook is illegal. You can seek there at night but if there where a bunch of you I am sure the rangers would spot you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.