Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hodgman Wadelite - leaky crotch

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lenny 
#1 ·
OK, I know these things aren't Cadillacs but I've been through two pairs, both ending up with the same problem - where the seams are taped at the crotch, one tape crosses over the other, the water leaks out between them. Is anyone else having this same problem? The waders are past the warranty, I fish the heck out them, but have no other problems. I'm getting pretty good at patching waterproof breathables, using a two part polyester product I got at forum sponsor Anglers West in Vancouver. I repaired a three inch gash in the butt, slipped down the hill coming out of the Chehalis canyon at dusk with a hatchery coho over my shoulder. If anyone else uses this stuff, it doesn't stick to aluminum foil very well, so you can put a board covered in foil inside the waders as they are repaired. Keep the waders flat on the board with a ring shaped weight or some clothespins. The idea is to glue the stuff that is in between the inner and outer laver of fabric, that is the waterproof and breathable layer and that is what needs to be repaired. After put a fabric patch on the inside or outside for stregnth. I've done a few of these on waders and rain jackets and they last indefinately if done right. You can tell me that aquaseal works better but it doesn't. The breathable layer is basically teflon fabric, and rubber don't stick to teflon that well. With my current problem I actually tried vacuuming the two part glue into the leak with a shop-vac, but it did not work. It seemed like a good idea at the time, put the affected part over a section of ABS pipe, connected to the vac with an adapter. Applied the glue on the outside and tried to draw it in to the leak. Don't waste the time it doesn't work. So my next option is to do surgery on the seam tape junction, and then glue it all back together. If anyone has advice please share it, if anyone has the same problem please share it. Other than that they have been good waders, the model number is W410. I lost my belt and got one of the ones that go with the Guidelite waders, back support with little grip dots inside and a velco closure and highly recommend it. I also put four stainless sheet metal scews in each of my felts, think I used pan head no8x5/8", and so far they work great for all the snotty rocks of Southwestern Ontario's poop laden streams, least 'till I get back west in the fall. I caught some nice smallies today and seen lots of carp, including one that was 40 and if not at least 30 or more lbs. Small black leeches twitched on the swing was the ticket for the bass.

See less See more
#3 ·
lenny said:
OK, I know these things aren't Cadillacs but I've been through two pairs, both ending up with the same problem - where the seams are taped at the crotch, one tape crosses over the other, the water leaks out between them.
Water leaks out? :lildevl:

Sorry Lenny, just kidding witcha. I buy the Simms guide goretex and although pricey they last me about 4 years and that works out to less for me (I fish HARD).

#4 ·
Hey Juro,

Can't say I do have a problem with water leaking out! Those Simms retail for $75 more than OS Systems breathables, which are available in camo so you can't see me fishing in my secret runs. This is an interesting quote from their site:

Microporous membranes, when reinforced by a hydrophilic (water loving) layer of polyurethane, provide the best and most durable waterproofing available.

The inner fabric of the waders is seperating from the membrane in the area of the leak, maybe that is what the problem is with them. If that is so, then they are relly history. It just bothers me when I can't fix something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.