GREEN DEER HEAD MARABOU CHARTREUSE & WHITE

HOOK- Salt water 1/0 to 8/0
TAIL- Chartreuse rabbit strip & pearl crystal flash
BODY- Chartreuse marabou, crystal flash & white marabou
HEAD- Green deer hair trimmed long

Jocelin

See less See more
#4 ·
Send samples, I'll field test them this summer while I'm up far up in Northern Alberta.
The only difference between your pattern and mine is that I tie in a tail support from either buck tail or stiff fish hair synthetic befroe I tie the rabbit strip, this helps prevent fouling.

#5 ·
Very Nice! How many pike are they good for? :hihi: I use synthetics for a lot of my pike flies because it seems to be more durable than natural materials, although I think I cause a lot of the damage myself while trying to remove the fly from the pike's mouth. Maybe it's easier to get the hook out of those big pike that you catch up there in Canada!

Q

#6 ·
Quentin

Yes its true that natural are less durable than synthetics but this is a fly that has lots of action and a quick tie. CAnt beat the action of marabou

Its also true that with smaller pike flies get damaged alot but they get less damaged with large pike.

I can catch a doz pike on this fly before rendering it useless than I cut all the material off the hook and tie another one

Jocelin

#7 ·
I use that basic bunny tail/ spun deer head fly for Pike all the time. I will have to try some Marabou on it. I like to tie them on Mustad C71 (long shank circle hook).
I started using this fly for juvy tarpon in the everglades; in orange or white it was my go to fly. Very good for snook too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.