Fly Fishing Forum banner

Largemouth Bass

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  biochemken 
#1 ·
I am learning to catch Largmeouth Bass on fly, walking the banks. I like in central Florida with hundreds of lakes and ponds to explore.

What should I be doing to catch more and bigger fish?

#2 ·
In order to know what to do to catch more and bigger fish, we would need to know what you are currently doing. If you give us this information, then we can make suggestions for possible improvement.

So, how are you going about fishing for the largemouth right now?

#5 · (Edited)
Dble Haul said:
Tell that to all the eight inch bass that I catch on six inch flies. :hihi:
Yeah, it doesn't always hold true! :chuckle:

A couple of weeks ago I caught a 4 inch bass on a 3 inch fly. He must have been hungry... :Eyecrazy:

But I'v never caught a 2 lb bass on a 1" fly either, so the opposite isn't true.

#7 ·
Dble Haul said:
Keep fishing, it will happen. :wink:
Yup, I'm sure it will. It actually may already have happened when I was a kid and I don't remember. I used to fish size 6 Hornbergs for years and years as my only real bass fly.

I did get a 2-3 pound pickerel on a size 6 hornberg a couple of years ago. I guess it was really hungry...

#8 ·
The biggest largemouth I ever took on any tackle was a 9#+ old girl on a #10 Black Wolly bugger and a 2 wt. ( Didn't have a scale so had to measure and estimate befor releasing her.) It was arguably a fluke and a lifetime achievemnt. Still, I have found that , while there are exceptions, bigger lures/baits generally produce bigger (if not less) bass. I generally stick to #10-6 flies for bass fishing where smallies and largemouths are mixed and where rocks are teh main structure. Mainly because the environment (i.e mostly free of weeds /brush) allows me to use lighter 4-6wt tackle that matches the 1-3# average fish better. If, I'm targetting bigger largemouth and/or in cover/ weedy ponds, I generally move up to a 7 or 8 wt and throw flies in the 2-2/0 range. Ocasionally, I go even a little larger. IMHO, there are few things as beautiful in this world as a big bass blowing up on a hamster sized deer hair topwater bug :smokin:

#11 ·
Central Florida Fly Selection

I have found that a frog patterned popper has done well for me the past several year. Look for one on a #6 hook seems to be a good combination. I have caught hundreds of fish on this pattern. I have 1 ~ 11lbs that I took from Lake Jackson in Sebring, and several in the 5-7 lb range that I caught in Lake Huckleberry this past spring. You will also find that bluegill like this pattern and the occasional crappie when they are up in the lily pads. If you are in a clear enough lake to wade, just move slow and put your fly anywhere you can find a little cover. I have also found that as the water heats up, any storm runoff you can find holds a lot of fish at surprising sizes. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.