Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wake up yakkers....

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I think it's about time for some kayak fishing. :wink:

Life got in the way of me being able to get out and take some very early season stripers from the lower CT River, but now that air temperatures are regularly above water temperatures I think that the kayak will get wet sometime soon.

I need a tug, and the yak is the tool to get me into some out of the way spots. :)

#7 · (Edited)
I'm about ready. IF for nothing else but the exercise & enjoyment of being out. I do a nice sheltered spot for some big spring calico's but we really need some weather that's a LITTLE warmer. Heck, it snowed yesterday! Still wondering which will be my favorite ride this year: My old faithful Pungo or the new Tarpon 140 .Got the Tarpon LATE lasy year and only got to use it an hour! Still not sure if a SOT is for me.
What are you guys paddling?

#10 ·
Yea, My tarpon is also an angler with Rudder. (Olive Green )I stole it on clearence from the Burlington EMS late last season. ( Got a tip from a guy on another site that they had 1 left!) . Conducted quick "Sea trials" on the way home in a local pond and havn't gotten back to it yet :frown: To be honest, from those quick observations in that short trip, I was a bit surprised that the 140 had no noticable speed or stability advantage over my old Pungo . Maybe I expected too much out of that extra 24" .
FWIW, My Pungo is an origional 12' which has served me well and kept me bone dry in all kinds of weather and sea conditions.
( Also have LOOn 138 in the rack that I scored used for my eldest son to use at the family property in RI. I also like this boat allot but try to respect that it's "his" ;) )

I think I'll like the Tarpon ( it certainly comes highly recomended) , i just have to give it some time in warm weather conditions.

#12 ·
Water is still a bit chilly - only 45F yesterday but the fish don't seem to care. Nothing sluggish about the takes :smokin:

I'm going to be stuck back in the UK for the next three weeks so no fishing for me until May 7th. I'm signed up for the Jamaica Bay kayak tourney that week-end. Not that I'm much interested in winning anything, but there is a great chance of connecting with a big weakfish down there along with the blues and stripers.

I'll probably be bringing the yak up to the Cape for spring clave.

If I don't use it in the salt I want to give schoolhouse pond a good 'working over'.

Late May in the RI Saltponds can be huge fun, especially around worm hatch time:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.