Fly Fishing Forum banner

Small tarpon leaders

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
What is recommended for leader set up for tarpon in the 20 to 50lb range. Thansks,
Ron

#3 ·
do you guys ever do more than 6 inches on bite tippet for tarpon? The reason I ask is that everyone I know does 4-8 inches and has to cut off the bite tippet after every fish and tie on a new one. It's not as though you're catching 20 or 30 tarpon a day so that it's that much of a burden but I was thinking if you did 10 inches or so you could get 2 fish per bite tippet probably before having to completely tie on a new piece of 40-80 pound. could make the difference if you're right in the fish but I don't know if they would get leader shy.

#8 ·
Baby Tarpon Leaders

jimS said:
Hey Ron, bite Tippett, maybe six inches of 40 pound test, tied to your normal leader via a slim beauty knot should suffice. Two turn Kreh loop knot to the fly would be my choice. Where you fishing?
I live for small tarpon and get to fish for them several times a month year round. I make and use a twisted mono leader starting with 20# Berkley Big Game mono. I will start with 15 feet of mono with the first 1/3 being the tippet and the remaining 2/3's for the twist. When I get through I have a leader 6 feet long and a tippet 7 feet long. I have never lost a tarpon using 20# mono and find i get more strikes using it. I have had tarpon straighten 2/0 hooks but never break my leader/tippet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.