Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bear Den's Show Saturday

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
With all this snow melt going on, there may be stripers in the parking lot, will use my black fast sink line so as not to spook them. Hope to see a few familiar faces on dry land.
Desparate????????????? Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hihi:
Ron

#5 ·
Me too!

I'm also going to absent from this years show,:( I'm heading north to do some snowboarding,I made these plans awhile back,can't back out now.This will be the first show of scotts missed,it always is the highlite of the long winter season,have fun Ya'all.

#9 ·
Great show. Bigger and better than previous years. It was nice to see all the gang albeit briefly.

Sorted out my mates from Weymouth with a couple of casting lessons, and a float on the Deerfield for $125pp. Joe picked up an 8wt TFO Bvk and I might have to pick one up too. It's a nice stick - very light, fast action but a strong butt. Ideal for the flats methinks.

Special thoughts and prayers out to our beloved Penguin.

Mark

#10 ·
Great show and reunion of Forum members. Had lunch with Paxton and his son Garry .:D Baldar McPhantom was in attendence or was it the Penguin?: :D
Missing was Striblue, perhaps he was out plinking. ;)
Had a great time and thanks to Scott who put on a great show.
The name of the new T&T rod is called TNT it has a special coating to prevent breakage . FishHawk

#12 ·
Sorry I missed it and got a call from Penguin on his way...he said that he decided just to call and figured if we went together in one car all we would do is fight and argue the whole time:chuckle: Besides as he said there was nothing in it for him if he did.:chuckle: Unfortunatly, I had to go to Mashpee and pick out window shades and curtains for the house....so I probably had more fun than you guys.:roll:

#13 ·
Great show...

I was going to catch a ride with Johnny Scissorhandz Morin [the former Mayor of Chatham, now the Prince of Plymouth] BUT... :eek:
The trailer park where he has his "double-wide" parked is a "closed community" and the gate attendant had to shut down while he visited his probation officer...
and besides that... :confused:
I come to find out that John still has an old restraining order on file from out last "outing" and it would have been unwise for me stick my neck out... :whoa:
after all...
What's in it for ME?! :hihi:

That being said...
The Bear's Den "Extravaganza" has a lot of positive energy...
There is a BUZZ that reminds me of the shows in the late 80's early 90's...
Scott and his CREW really do a sensational job...
They blow the door off the hinges and pull out all the stops...
The day is truly a bright spot on an otherwise fairly chilly somber shack-nasty late winter horizon!
GOOD to see friends and acquaintances...
Lookin' forward to a sandy beach encounter SOONER than LATER!

'Got some ideaz and inspiration from David Nelson...
currently workin' on colours and texture for a Canadian pal with Tarpon intentions...

Ms Congeniality / Photogenic

#14 ·
WHAT??? The mayor of Chatham, the myth, the legend, out shopping for window dressings... It's a sad, sad, day...:chuckle: It was good to see the rest of the usual suspects. Fishhawk, I'm pretty sure that Penguin AND Baldar were there, although I never saw them together...

Great show Scott!

#15 · (Edited)
Yes but Pete asked me in all seriousness where I went for the window shades....asked all the questions although he said I should have gone to Christmas tree shop....but he has the contact there so.......Also.....I had a real treat on Sunday morning having met Tom at Plymouth Rod and Gun...90 years old.....here is a picture I took. The guy holding the 12 gage is his nephew with who I shot skeet. I could not stop looking at this guy and spoke with him for some time....He received an award from Obama last year in France.... and is a Purple heart vet.... who was in the first wave at Omaha Beach, Dog Green, 2nd Rangers, under the command of James Rudder....What a guy! The same location that was depicted in "Saving Private Ryan"... I thought of my late Father who was In Rome at that time having broken out of Anzio beachhead with the 6th Corp. and was a radio man assigned to the 3rd Infantry division and 1st Rangers under Lucien Truscott. There are not many of these American heros left from that time. This Guy is the REAL thing........

"Company C landed at H-Hour on Omaha Beach. Their mission was to clear the enemy from the top of Pointe du La Percee to prevent the enemy from placing enfilading fire on Omaha Beach where the 1st and 29th Infantry Divisions were to also land. At 6:30 a.m. on June 6, Company C arrived on English landing crafts amidst intense fire. Almost half their men were killed crossing the beach under horrific heavy fire. Using their fighting knives and bayonets, three men scaled the 100 foot cliffs and dropped the toggle ropes to their remaining Rangers below to enable them to more easily climb the cliffs and successfully put out of action this very important and deadly German defensive position.

"Companies A, B, part of Headquarters and the rest of the Rangers provisional group landed at H-plus 30 minutes. After blowing up a section of the sea wall on Omaha Beach, the Rangers led the way off the beach and fought their way westward to join their comrades at Pointe du Huc. The Rangers were supported by the sadly depleted 116th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Division. After joining forces, they pushed westward toward the villages of Pierre du Mont and along the coast toward the town of Grandcamp-Maisy. July 1944, the battalion was assigned to clearing out hidden enemy positions and pockets of enemy resistance along the coastline of the Cherbourg Peninsula. Replacements were soon received (to replace their many casualties) and were trained for and by the under-strength Ranger battalion. August 1944 the battalion received special hedgerow training with the 759th Tank Battalion. August 1944 the entire battalion was assigned to 8th Corps and again the 29th Infantry Division. It was the start of the assault on the City of Brest and the capture of many other enemy positions and, in particular, the Lochrist (Graf Spee) Battery at the tip of the Le Coquet Peninsula. This was a monumental victory for the Rangers of the 2nd Battalion. "A" Company captured over 850 German prisoners and rendered inoperable the strongest and largest fortress in the area."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.