Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bacteria

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Admittedly I don't have any direct knowledge or specific data/verification on the following, but it may be of interest re this coming season.

I met a guy this afternoon who is an avid striper fisherman on the Cape....last fall when taking off a striper he "fin cut' himself. Within a week the cut formed a quarter inch white pimple, then his finger went numb....according to him (again reliability ? as I just met this guy) his MD identified the bacteria causing the problem and reportedly it is the same bacteria present on "almost all stripers in the Carolinas).

If this is valid...then at minimum we should exercise some caution this Spring.

Anyone have info on this problem?

Was unsure of posting, but if valid....then buyer beware this season.

Ron

#2 ·
Ron-Not sure if this was the exact "bug" your new fishing "buddy" was referring to, but it's the most common cause of such infections- the article also mentions some common sense precautions:

http://safeoysters.org/educators/Fisherman_Fact_Sheet.pdf

The list of "risk factors" might have a few folks reconsidering those late night trips to the Squire....or maybe not ;)

#5 ·
Hey Ron,

I've had that infection a couple of times over my 20yrs running the boat. I ve had scrapes and cuts, the didn't heal or got numb in the area of the wound. I have also got in the area of bad Greenhead bites on my legs. I've done a couple of rounds of anti-biotics over the years with no lasting effects from the infections, except for some good scars. If you do get a cut, bite or puncture out there, just pay a little more attention to it, especially if it is in an area that will continue to get exposure to the water while your fishing.

Capt Keith.

#6 ·
Having been "spiked" a few times in the past, especially at night, I now carry a tube of Neosporin or antibiotic ointment.

Not sure how things are here but back in the U.K. freshwater guys have to be extremely careful about picking up leptospirosis on river banks. That one is really nasty if it goes undetected.

#7 ·
There is a product called corn husker's lotion that's really good for healing up all of the little line cuts and hamburger thumb that come along with striper season.

I have never been infected by a linesider, but got my knuckles chewed on while lipping an amberjack last fall. I put neosporin on the cuts (they were not very deep) but they literally took months to heal and left nasty scars.

Nice reminder of that fish everytime I look at the keyboard :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.