Fly Fishing Forum banner

Storm "Damage"???

4K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Checked 4 TV stations, the paper and the net.....all say some coastal damage...but nothing specific, as in South Beach. Hopefully Noel gave us an early Christmas present and a new and permanent cut.
Pete...see if you can talk a brisk walk out there and send us a report before the Pat's game :)
Ron
PS: Also see if you can find "Wilson"....I heard that the good mayor of Chatham left him out last night at the lighthouse:hihi:

#2 ·
Reconnoiter...

I was out to the tip of Nauset on Wednesday and there was evidence of extensive wash-overs...probably the southern most 1/4+ mile was washed over during the last moon tide...ABSOLUTELY during the storm...
I hope to get out to the new cut tomorrow for a good look...I would have gone today but my chain saw got all my attention...QUITE A BLOW! The generator worked just fine as Area61 went off-grid for about 5 hours!
South Beach is still a question...The bend at the old SouthWay where South Beach joined South Monomoy probably got washed over but the winds were primarilly from the northeast and I doubt enough sand would have been removed to open it up...
Most of the storm dynamics and damage would have been on the east facing beaches where tides/waves/currents/sand migration had the beach in their grasp...
More to follow...

#4 ·
Thanks Pete...maybe we need to change your handle from Penquin to Recon Pete.
Why do I get the sense that you will be doing a fly-over soon? :)
There was a brief radio report yesterday that I only caught a piece of...mentioning sand partially filling a channel near Chatham harbor???

#5 ·
Most damage to the north

Paxton,

Most of the damage was to the North at the new break. Two more camps got wiped out at the northside of the new break. One 50+ scalloper broke free from his mooring and ended up on the north beach across from the fish pier.

Southbeach appeared to have minor washovers in the usual spots. The land bridge was washed over and got flattened again like the April storm, but no chance of a channel opening on this storm.

You'll just have to keep praying to the Nor'easter gods for this up coming winter.

Capt Keith

#7 ·
Steve, the new cut on North Beach is across from Minister's Point, a couple miles north of Chatham light. The cut was created in the spring as a result of a northeaster. It is holding its own and probably increasing in width. The cut in front of Chatham light has been silting in and had a sandbar across it, which was very evident at low tide. Don't know if Noel had any affect on it.

#9 ·
Nauset Slice...

The Breach that ate Nauset?!
On steroids and getting larger...several structures removed by Noel washovers...
Many large shoals around the approach inside Pleasant Bay...
Maybe 1000+meters across...photos taken at almost low tide...
Quite a channel with structure and waves on the outside...

So...
I'm standing on the new "Island" and there is fresh 4X4 tracks left in the sand...
No way to drive out there...What's up with that?

Attachments

#10 ·
Great pics Pete...thanks for sharing them. If you ever give up testing your flies in the hot tub, I do believe that you have a future working for National Geographic as a photographer (I'm serious).
Not so serious, I have 2 questions:
1. Are there any trout in that pond in front of the lighthouse?
2. Are those "lauchers" on your yak?:D
If this storm didn't do the dirty deed, it makes me question whetether the deed will ever be done. As the inside of SB drains so slowly on the outgoing now....I wonder if the storm push from surf side is just insufficient to move both sand and the water holding it back?????????? Where is a hydro-engineer when we need one?

#11 ·
North Beach...

Ron...
Thanks' for the kind words...
Be careful with compliments...It's like feeding a stray cat! :hihi:
Those ponds are stocked with Sturgeon and MahiMahi...NO trout...
Perhaps those ARE launchers...'better to consider what you DON'T see! :Eyecrazy:

A few more pics...
What I could have done with a small airplane and an open window!!!

Attachments

#12 ·
Pleasant Bay the new Mecca???

With that huge break in Nauset, the area in front of Chatham Light filling in, and the the South Beach-South Monomoy "unibeach" an apparently foregone conclusion...dare we christen Pleasant Bay the new Mecca??? I dare say it might be getting a bit more of my attention this spring:smokin:
Flydoc
P.S.- Pete- that craft looks more like a kaiten (WW2 Japanese 1 man suicide torpedo) than a kayak....what model is that?

#13 ·
Dreadnaught...

Hobie Revolution...
MirageDrive (pedal power)...cruises @ 4 knots handz phree while I drag a phly and talk on the radio to the spotter plane!
WeBeToyz!!!:razz:

What with all the seals there will certainly be a great white to partake on the buffet...and here I've got a Yak with oscilating flippers to better look like dinner! :eek:

Attachments

#14 ·
Tire tracks?

Someone "midnight requisition" the 'Duck Boat' from Hyannis and go for a joy ride?

Is the sand on the bars uncovered at low still soft or has it started to harden up?Seems to me that comments in mid summer were that they were pretty soft and unstable. Also, what was your impression of the opening by lighthouse, filling in some from the North?

Pete Readel (PopnesetBay)

#15 ·
IMHO...

The sand bars were MUCH firmer!
There are many potential sandy places to wade and I can see alot of VERY phishy looking UDL's on the horizon!
...The seals will like their newly renovated home! :roll:

The area in front of the lighthouse does not seem to be filling in just yet...
Although things are changing quite a bit...no clearly defined channel...
A long winter will certainly continue to bring about more surprises!
One storm changes everything...

#17 ·
Pete- better look into installing some anti-shark countermeasures on that craft of yours....would hate to see a pic of what was left of it and (gulp) you on the cover of the local news rag next summer....maybe Rich Dreyfuss has a spare poison-tipped harpoon he can lend you:eek:
Flydoc

#20 ·
Mirage Drive...

Bill...
The Mirage Drive "flippers" can be stowed flat against the hull or pulled completely out of the well...easy! ;)
I slightly complicated the issue by opting for upgrades...longer turbo-fins and a larger rudder (speed+handling=deeper draft)...NO worries...

There is a pristine khaki tan Heritage Fisherman hangin' in dark suspended animation...sit-on-top with a paddle... May be lookin' for a new home in the Spring! :devil:

John...
AtYourService...My pleasure!
But...What's in it for ME!?

#23 ·
You can run but...

You CAN'T hide...from the long arm of the law!
The unexpected tyre tracks caught my eye and peaked my curiosity...
'Talked to the Chatham Harbour Master...
Conundrum resolved...
It turns out that the local cop shop has a 4X4 BatMobile stored out there somewhere (?!)...
In place before the storm...'must be part of some "Plan B" ?! :whoa:
(Possibly a long time resident has one as well...unconfirmed)
The state will have to install a traffic light !? :roll:

Fred...
The aerodynamic advantages of the "knees in chin" have been wind tunnel tested and proven by NASA...:Eyecrazy:
Chinese acrobats AND Cirque d' Sole actually prefer and endorse this "advanced position"...
Weightless environment not withstanding, perhaps we can arrange a test paddle when the opportunity presents itself!? ;)
You NEED a YAK! :tsk_tsk:

#24 ·
Hobies are just made for fly-fishing - as Pete says, they leave your hands free (phree) to cast while you hold steady in the tide simply by pedaling. You can also have your cast ready when you reach a bust-up - unlike a conventional SOT where you have to stow the paddle first and even then your arms are throbbing from paddling there in the first place. Hobie wins every time IMO even if they do cost more.

Great photo's as well Pete.

#25 · (Edited)
Pete, oh so typical of you!... "how will this effect me?, .... "What about me!?" "What's in it for me"..... "Me, myself and I"..... Yes, we remember the rip trip, when you hurt your back... and Juro had to walk back with you on the famous 8 miler.... and you gave no consideration as to how we all felt about you or how your injury would effect US....your friends.....did you ever ask...or say...I hope my injury does not effect or concern my friends....will they be OK? ...or "how do they feel???...Did you ever say to yourself while you lay there moaning..>>> "forget about my serious back injury, I just hope...my friends...don't feel bad or are sad.." OH NOOOOO, not you....:hihi: :D :lildevl: :wink:

#26 ·
Did I detect a FLAME?

Where is a MONITOR when I NEED one ?!

DEFORMATION of CHARACTER DISORDER...:eek:
CYBER Assault and Battery not included...:whoa:
Politically Incorrect Crimes and Misdemeanors perpetrated on a poor defenseless slightly handicapped moderately decorated multi-war veteran?:Eyecrazy:
Hello Mark E. Salamone...Binder&Binder...Denny Crane!!! :tsk_tsk:

John...I couldn't resist! The devil made me do it!:devil:
Are you doing the Chatham Christmas walk fandango this year?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.