Fly Fishing Forum banner

Native Watercraft (Ulitimate)

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Been playing with the idea of buying a yak and in looking around, came across the above "vessel"... it's designed for fishing, relatively light weight (44 lb for the 12 footer), has a pontoon hull design (coved upwards in the middle) for stability...it actualy allows one to stand and cast...even has a drop down keel for tracking and can come equiped with an anchor/pulley system which can be back mounted and controlled from the seat.....seat is high backed with much built in support and even designed to keep your legs in a slight downward position for comfort.
My only concern is...does it give a wet ride if seas are a bit rough......although it is a sit in design, there is no bow or stearn covering...only 2 support cross bars......open cockpit like a canoe.....this affords easy storage of gear and paddle when not in use.....but???
Has anyone used one....any comments + or - ????
Much appreciated,
Ron

#2 ·
I think I am going to pick one up this year, just trying to secure a test ride somewhere but I like the design a lot. Perfect for what I am going to use it for as I have no plans for a open water ocean vessel but I am sure this boat could still do it in a pinch.

You can buy add ons to add a spray skirts in the front, back and middle. Go to orvis and type in kayak and you can see what it looks like. They sell an orvis branded one all tricked out but it is more expensive than if you just bought one yourself and bought the accesories yourself.

-sean

#3 ·
Thanks Sean....I agree, it's looks like it would be perfect for salt ponds, estuaries, rivers......I would consider using it for Monomoy/SB area on a decent day....the sides seem higher than a conventional yak.....my only question re bow skirt is, is it on a forward slope to keep spray from coming into the cockpit?.....going to check that out. I love the idea of standing and casting in shallow water over the edges of flats......their web site is good, shows pics of various uses...check it out.
Ron

#9 ·
Native Watercraft

It might be, Sean, but the "Elite" model has the "tunnel hull" and reportedly is very stable. I intend to look at one and when the water gets to a point that a "brass monkey" can stand in it, I will water test, just to be sure. What reviews I have read by users are all pretty complimentary altho I still think it is best for transportation to where you get out and wade. Price is right and so is the weight.

Pete

#10 ·
Kind of interesting but I think it' s more of a clam water craft. Spray skirt would be a must. I would go for a SOT instead. The only disadvantage would being able to stand up and cast out of of SOT. However, all that being said , when it gets dicey out there I would much rather be in my SINK than SOT. I've been in some nasty stuff and my Neck handled it with ease. Some of those yahoos in the power boats can really make for an interesting day on the water. I got buzzed by a couple of young bucks trying to show off for their girlfriends. I should have turned them in to the Coast Guard.
As a final note each yak has it's plus and minus . One of these days I will get a SOT to add to my fleet.
Just my .02. Fish Hawk

#11 ·
Bill....I think that you hit it on the head "every yak has it's + and _ "
This yak's +'s are: comfort, stability, ability to stand and cast...the negative....wet on a rough day. So it's going to come down to how one's going to use it....if it's estruaries, salt ponds and protected areas...it's a good choice....rough water(spray)...not. Of course if's it's mid summer and warm...who cares:) I did look at them again the other day (I think that the dealer is begining to think that I'm a pervert or something)...the sides of the hull are at least 4 to 5 inches higher than a traditional yak, which would control for at least some spray....the more I think of this partcular yak is really a 'Yaknoe" combo of Kayak and canoe. AND of course the last decision: do I really need to have a yak? of course, I could say that about 1/2 the other stuff I have for fishing.:)
Ron
PS: If I go to the dealer one more time, I think that he will just give it to me so I don't come back :)

#12 ·
Stablity wasn't my concern but getting swamped. If a wave or wake was to hit the side of that yak or a canoe it could fill it up pretty quickly I suspect. A SINK offers some protection, an SOT its not even an issue. Its probably not a huge issue, just the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the design.

The Native Magic seems to have many of the same advantages but as an SOT.

FishHawk,

I can stand and cast out of both of my SOT's a FishnDive and a Marquesa - I'm a good sized guy and not all that coordinated. I think standing and fishing is highly overrated because if you catch anything decent you have to get down to land the fish. The Marquesa is nice because it is perfect for kneeling which makes it ideal for spotting a fish, praying, casting, and hopefully landing fish.

I always find it interesting to see what guys like and dislike in yaks. Like some people don't like sot's because you get wet, I like them for exactly the same reason, catching the occasional wave on the chin is part of the fun.

#16 ·
Well in a word I 'love' mine.

Pros:

Decently fast for its design and the integrated skeg does a great job of keeping you on track for longer paddles. Obviously not as fast as a true kayak but does the job plenty well for me. I am usually going with the tide as well so no big deal.

- Storage: I can bring 3 rods , a cooler, tons of flies, a few plug bags and a bunch of dry clothes in case I fall off :)

- Stability: Once you get used to the feel and trust that it aint going to flip standing in it is quite comfortable. I routinely anchor up and stand for long periods of time. This is important to me as fly fishing sitting down in a kayak in a pain in the arse. I really dislike it and it makes good presetations difficult. Being able to stand up (and even land fish while standing or getting down on your knees) is the major selling point for me. Also great with my 4 year old up front.

- Weight: It is only 50 pounds with the seat in so it is no big deal to sling it on your shoulder and walk a little ways with it.

Cons:

- It does hold water and has no scuppers. You need to have a pump on board and I keep a super absorbant sponge in the bottom at all times to collect the water that gets in when you get in and out of the boat.

- Probably not a open ocean boat. Since it does collect water I would stay away from any situation where ocean spray would be a concern.

Overall I give it high marks. It does everything they say it will and one of the best fishing platforms there is. Yeah you cannot really do open ocean stuff but it does do fine anywhere in the naragansett bay. It has already gotten me into to places where I knew there were large fish but could never reach them from shore. Plus standing up rocks. I can also crawl to the front of the boat to get gear or turn around grab stuff behind me with ease. I have never not felt safe in the boat. Seeing I use it only at night that is a major plus.

I bought the spray skirts that come with it but have not found them that useful. All they really is rob you of storage space and are not really necessary IMHO.

Would be great in the CC bay as well. Hope to get it out to brewster soon. Next purchase for it will be a flats pole.

-sean

#17 ·
Sean...I read your review of the Native Watercraft with interest. Still looking for the right vessel...have eliminated (for me) the sit on top).
Questions:
1. just how wet is the NW.....are we talking constant splash inside?
2. How does it handle wakes from passing boats? Get water in if a medium wake comes?
My use would be in protected areas (not open seas)....but I don't want to have to bail out in wakes or 1 -2 ft seas.
Much appreciated.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.