Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best Advise Summary Explanation

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
As promissed, I summarized and categorized all of your contributions.

Sadly, when I copy/cut/pasted from Word....a few things got jumbled..sorry.

I did this activity because IMHO, the info all of you provided I thought was too informative to not be easily reviewed and available for others in an easier format.

Personaaly...reviewing all the posts taught me new things, verified that I was not the only one making the same observations/hypotheses, made me think more about what I was doing when fishing..plus...it was a fun read.

PLEASE...if I left someone's contribution out...it was an accident....it took a bit of time to categorize, shifting from one post and page to another. I tried to cross out contributions on my print out of your posts as I went along...I may have screwed up somewhere.:frown:

If I missed something, just post or pm me and I will gladly edit the summary and re-post an update.

If you see some quotes that were not on the original thread...they are some that I added from both my personnal experiences flats fishing over the years and what I have learned from others.

There are the makings of another possible thread in this summary if anyone wants to start it...in the Best Advice section of the summary, there are a few contributions re surf/beach fishing...this is a subject matter that I have next to no experience/knowledge in as I am primarily a flats FF.

Thanks for responding so informatively and positively to the original thread....I had fun. Maybe I need a life :D
Ron

See less See more
#7 ·
Terrific, Ron. A great initial post and thanks to all that responded, however, the way you have grouped the responses in superb. Will become one of my reads early on as I gear up for the "season". Hope there will be more additions to the list.
Thanks again, it is things like this that make this forum what it is.

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

#8 ·
Thanks all. Just remember....if folks didn't contribute there would have been nothing to compile....that was the best part of this tiny project for me.

Pete re organization of group responses...I tried to create separate sub categories so that if there are future contributions....they can be added easily in the right place . There may also be more categories than at present in the future

As I love sight/flats fishing ...regardless if this topic becomes a "sticky" or file (please excuse my ignorance on web site terms)....I wouldn't mind spending some time on occassion reviewing the "search" section of this site re posts on flats and finding material to add to the current 'Summary". For instance, as I was in the process of trying to figure out how to download and actually downloading the WORD document to this site, I realized that I had forgot to add Juro's 4 principals (ie "presense of fish, mood' etc)....fearful of losing what I had done....I didn't go back.
I know that flats/sight fishing in the years that I have been a member ,has been a frequent topic....there has to be more in the memory banks of this site.
If I do this...it won't be piece by piece and post as that would even annoy me ...re too frequent flooding of this topic on the site..I will wait till I have substantially more material and or have found all the related material doing the searches of past posts... then I will post it.
If others or those who already posted on this thread have more additions...please post them on the original thread..I will check back on occasion and add them to the present list.
Thanks again,
Ron

#9 ·
Fly Fishing Spots/Places

How about a compilation of good fly fishing spots. Most of us, due to time restrictions, do not have time to explore many different places... it would be interesting to know were the members of this forum fish most often (near home or away) and what they like about those places.

Martin

#11 ·
martinc said:
How about a compilation of good fly fishing spots. Most of us, due to time restrictions, do not have time to explore many different places... it would be interesting to know were the members of this forum fish most often (near home or away) and what they like about those places.

Martin
Sorry, but putting good spots up on the net turns those places into spots where , to quote Yogi Berra "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Jon

#12 ·
Penguin said:
NO SPOT BURNING !
Guys... calm down. I'm not looking for GPS coordinates. I'm looking for something along this lines - Lobsterville Beach, Martha's Vineyard .... Narrow River, Narragansett, RI .... Savanah Sound, Eleuthera, Monomoy Flats, Chatham, MA :tsk_tsk: ops strike that one - nobody goes there anymore! plus some details about what is nice abut those places.

Martin

#13 ·
Martin..."spots" is definitely a touchy subject.....as you can see if you read the site often...places are mentioned as UDL (undisclosed location)....I think that most members agree that we went from about 4 yrs ago posting where we fished and how it was....to UDL, due primarily to a contingent of at least 20 of the most ill mannered out of state supposed fly fish "sportsmen"...who thrashed south beach (when it was in it's prime) and went to other locations mentioned innocently on this site publically...at one spot that could support 3 or 4 well spaced fishermen..;there were at least 15 guys shoulder to shoulder. It was a horrid 2 weeks.

This present attitude is not about being greedy and wanting fish all for ourselves...it's about not burning a spot for everyone...including you.
Many of us go the PM route to share such info as it isn't on public display.
Write someone a pm andIi bet 90% of the time, you will get info...esp if you don't wind up bringing a bus load of folks with you.

I understand what you are looking for (ie. not GPS points)...I will write back later....I have a great Cape Cod Fly fishing Guide Book (contains general and even specific spots and directions/maps....at present it is in my other car that my wife has at work and off hand I don't remember the title and author. I will send you a pm, unless someone else indicates they want the title of the book as well.
Ron

#16 ·
Best Avice

Oh yeah Ron. Forgot this one and it is a biggy. Listen to the Elders in this sport. One in particular on this Forum can show you in a day what it takes most of us a lifetime to figure out. Ask them. Also. Some of them travel great distances to fish. Find out where those places are because they must be very special if they keep going back tear after year.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.