Fly Fishing Forum banner

No. Shore Blitz

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 · (Edited)
Awesome morning. Took my 8 yr. old son out this am. Got to the ramp and found someone had moved first light up a half hour. So we launched and just hung out and chatted waiting for some light. Then, first light- and we shoved off poking our way in the half light. We motored out to the river mouth. As we past through the mouth out into the open bay it was FAC conditions, perfect temps and bang-breaking fish. My son was casting Sluggos (don't start, need to keep it fun) and instantly hooks up and lands a fat 26" striper. I'm chucking anything in my flybox and hooking up instantly too. We basically chased pods around the bay for 2 hours without having to go more than a mile in any direction. We had already racked up a succesful day and it was getting close to that time. Just enough time to get back to the ramp, pull the boat, and get to work a tad late. But soon some schools started to get more active. Some blues came in and we boated a few of them after ferocious fights. Then things got hotter. We found a school of fish had a school of juvis trapped in the rocks at the end of a long beach. I cut the motor and we drifted in. The whole place explodes into an acre of slapping tails and spraying juvis!
The current kept pushing us into the rocks. I cut the motor and floated into 2-3' of crystal water. I look down and there must have been 1 to 2 hundred stripers right there chasing little juvis under and around my boat ! Right there in 2 to 3' of water unspooked. It was like an aquarium. I had to repeatedly start the motor and back out of the rocks, but wait- not evan that spooked the blitz. Finally after a while we back a hundred yards out. I get out the phone and call my wife 1st and then the office to say I won't be in till after lunch. I change flies, fix my sons rig by tearing off the sluggo and throwing a fly teaser on a 1 foot piece of fluro behind his jig head. We take a swig of water and head back in for another 45 mins of seeing tens and tens of stripers swim by. This went on for about an hour or more. When it died other pods were still chomping out in front of the beach. We went over for a few more but they were blues. The rocks lit up again and we went back for more juvi spraying action. My son turns to me and says with a big $%it eating grin "Dad...I just don't want to leave this place".
This all happened just above low tide with high sun and mid morning to 10:30 We were alone too. Only one other boat around and he was on other pods. What an experience.
Days like this wash away all the skunkings. Guys, this happened this morning-Enjoy the fall!

Lefty

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome report! Looks like its time to get the yak back on my rooftop for work!

Nick

#9 ·
Terry...Bob's right...there are no fish up there...what a day! I am glad you shared it with your son and had sense enough to call in and not leave that place...your son will always remember the details even when you have forgotten them...great report.!!!!

#10 ·
Terry -

Only thing missing was the fiddle to a perfect day. Great experience.

Seeing youngers like your son catch fish is an experience all of us should witness more often. One of the perks on being on the water is seeing children and parents bond with each other. This was taken yesterday. Shown here is a father and son feeding the bluefish. Notice the handful of clamworms in the childs palms.

#11 ·
Great pic Ray! I showed my wife, who until recently could not garner an appreciation for such a work of art. She's been boating quite a few fish lately.

There are few things as beautiful as the water's surface boiling with breaking fish. She of course had to mention that I may one day teach our kid(s) to fish, boat and respect the environment. I'm not ready yet to be a daddy, I am however looking forward to it...someday:)eyecrazy: ).

Paul

#14 ·
Those are the kinds of mornings when the meaning of "father and son" becomes clearer to a man and boy, where the man becomes more than just a disciplinarian trying not to be late for work but an adventurer and friend, and the boy not just a mischevious youth but a fishing partner with a bond of blood sharing moments where only truth and tact succeed.

Compared to the everyday routine where most of society is lost day to day, fishing is life.

#15 · (Edited)
Cool story. Kids and fish are the best combination.
My greatest days are fishing with my son. We have a favorite spot where a spring creek runs into a pond where the brookies stack up. He was anchored off the mouth in our canoe and I could here him hooting with pleasure all the way back at our camp. It was the first time he really caught trout consistently on a fly. He is getting quite proficient with a fly rod now so it's really getting fun. We're headed up-country to catch some brookies in their fall finery this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.