Fly Fishing Forum banner

Adams wet fly?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  augie1010 
#1 ·
I have been watching the trout in our club pond, (all stocked rainbow and brown trout )skimming on the surface for the last three weeks. I have seen trout jump completely out of the water, but there does not apear to be anything on the surface, so i presumed they are catching some emerging bug just as it reaches the surface. I never see the emergers take off, maybe because there are a lot of fish in this pond right now. I tried a adams dry fly, but the fish looked it over but rearley hit it. By mistake , I sank the fly while retriveing it, wham, fish takes it big. Put it back on top, nothing, sink it, wham, fish all over it. I can only presume that this sunk adams looks something like what it coming up off the bottom. Any idea what looks like the adams dry fly that is fished beneth the surface?

Sorry for being so long winded .

David

#2 ·
Hey David,

The Adams' colors -- gray, ginger, grizzly -- make a very appealing soft-hackle fly. Soft hackles are especially effective during an emergence, as you found out.

A soft-hackle Adams, or even an Adams tied in the conventional wet-fly manner is a very good fly to have in your arsenal.

Cheers,

Eric

#4 ·
Fish a dry fly "sunk" is a great way to get the trout active, I don't know why but it sure works just about everywhere I've done it. I use a tiny split shot about 6 inches up from the fly and that seems to be the most productive set up.

#5 ·
Nuthin' wrong with sinking a dry fly :hihi: . When I was a kid I tied trout flies and casted them using a bubble and a spinning rod. My dry flies only stayed dry for a couple casts, and then they were fished just like the wet flies: dragged behind the bobber so they made a slight wake on the surface. It wasn't really "flyfishing" but I caught plenty of fish on dry flies dragged below the surface!

Q

#6 · (Edited)
Dear David,

A set up that has worked great for me this spring is using a bead head wooly bugger as a weighted attractor and a wet fly style hendrickson or dark cahill as a dropper at 12 inches behind the wooly. The dropper can be any combination with caddis, flash back, scud etc.

They seem to let the wooly go by and hit the smaller fly.

C.R.O.

#7 ·
Adams wet fly

Thanks for the reply guys. As of today, 5-11-07, they are still taking the adams, but now I have been able to get them to take it off the surface. Lots of nats, and a few mosquitoes are starting to show up with the unseasonably warm weather (80+ degrees). All of these fish have been hooked a few times,but they like the Adams, and a March Brown wet, etc. Have any of you had much success with the mosquitoe dry fly. Last year I found it good around this time.

Have a nice weekend

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.