Fly Fishing Forum banner

Weekend Bluefin Again!

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Well with the Bluefin hanging in we couldn't keep from doing it again this past weekend. Even though the gas prices are insanely high and the drive to the fish is long we got together 3 nuts (me being one of them) nad pooled our resources to go bluefinin' again. Fishing the same RI near offshore spots as previous weeks we got into them as soon as we arrived. Some of the best feeds I have witnessed since this craziness started, we had literally acres of bluefin all around us and they were all too happy to grab the flies we tossed at them. For those wondering the flies are the simplest you could possibly imagine, white craft fur with angel hair on top of that, whip finish, add eyes, epoxy head, tie on tippet, cast to hungry bluefin, hold on for dear life! I had some issues on Saturday and was feeling that maybe my mojo had come to an end, my first 6 casts I either hooked a bluefish in the middle of hundreds of bluefin or I hooked a bluefin that promptly broke me off. The break offs were caused by various equipment issues that I have since rectified but were none the less frustrating. I also hookeda freight train that was on it's way to England when I applied some pressure to hopefully slow it slightly it unceremoniously parted my sinking line where it meets its intermediate running line. This was an expensive lose and really got me hot but what can you do these fish will test every bit of your equipment and preparation, if you are not on your game they will find every weakness and capitolize on them. Saturday's totals were 6 fish in the boat, I landed 2 on the fly and then gave the conventional a try due to massive pain in my shoulder and because I wanted to see if they would hit a top water lure. Man did they hit the top water, my first Zara Spook type top water was smashed at the end of the cast and this fish was another brut that was having none of the idea of being hooked, he turned on the lure crashed it and never looked back. Took me down to 50 yds. or so of line (I have about 300 yds. on this reel) and then popped the 40 lb. fluoro like it wasn't even there. I tied on another spook type lure (Rebel Jumping Minnow) and cast it into the melee, the first fish hit it and missed and then there was 6-7 fish all fighting for it like bluefish until this one fish came from below left the water about 3-4 ft. and crashed down on top of it and kept on going. I did finally land this fish and what a hoot it was to watch this fish with an attitude crash that top water. Sunday I took a buddy who has been itching to go out for the bluefin and he finally got his tuna as well, we boated 4 fish total on Sunday and my virgin got two for himself. He was bitching all the way home about his arm...... :hihi: It has been awesome and I am just unbelieveably fortunate to have been able to get into these fish this year, many thanks to Sean who first put me on them and Rob Tartaglia (Striperblues) from another site who has been very helpful with the intel week after week. He lives closer than I and hence gets out several times a week so he can have his ear to the ground and give me the poop when the weekend comes. Thanks Sean and Rob you guy's are aces!!!

See less See more
#7 ·
Judging from the size of that fish, there are indelible teeth marks on that foregrip!
Somebody please help me! I can't bare the thought of looking at any more of these great pictures without being there!

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.