Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stearns Inflatable Special at...

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Poul 
#1 ·
You guessed it... COSTCO! :)

$145 with pump, paddle, and duffel. So light you can carry it out to the edge at low tide, launch it anywhere, anytime. This is my top criteria after 'does it move forward when paddled?'.

NOT good enough to fish from, NOT a bluewater craft, NO storage capacity - won't even carry an anchor most likely.

It's really not a yak, it's a pool toy. But it will put me on the outer shoals and get me back. If I can't get back in because I waited too long there is a place to put my camera and wallet if I need to swim along with it to get off a flooded bar. All I need in such a case is my life, a dry wallet and expensive electronics kept dry - everything else can be cleaned and dried.

YES - I will buy a real kayak from one of our sponsors eventually, but for now this is going to be my temporary plaything to extend my reach just a little further than my cast from the shore. From this I will learn exactly what I need for my impending big purchase, a real kayak. It will always be a hit with the kids when I move on.

I'm actually PSYCHED!

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure if you saw this ... I have no idea which one is better. All I can say is that it is a cheaper dry storage platform

#6 ·
MAN! I am really surprised at the lack of pool toy savvy around here ;)

The Stearns is not like the PVC units. It has a bladder inside a tough sheath of something or other with neoprene abrasion guards on the sides where the paddle scrapes and a little keel. I sat in one today. The kit is a special just for Costco, comes with a paddle, pump, bag and yak for $144.99

I heard you can get the polka dots and giraffe options after market :hehe:

Looks like this:

Not nearly as nice as this one:

or this one:

all Stearns, but for the $$ I am thinking of it as a little shuttle bug between shoals and nothing more.

Stearns website

#7 ·
I know you are just kidding but I have many years on Brewster Flats under my wader belt and would ask the following questions:

a) Where would you launch?
b) What tide would you launch?
c) What tide would you take out?

The difference between this unit and any kayak on the market is night and day. The answer with this unit is:

a) anywhere
b) any tide
c) any tide

With a 'real' yak, it would be:

a) Sesuit & 1.8 mile row if no desire to drag or lug; otherwise Brewster beaches with a potentially marathon drag session
b) High tide (short drag), mid tide (100-150 yard drag), low tide (1 mile drag)
c) same as b

BTW - best fishing is around the bottom of the tide. With a real yak if you don't have 3 hours before and after to kill the most direct route to the best fishing is approx 1 mile of dry often rocky sand.

The mini-yakker can show up anytime and leave anytime from anywhere. Or such is my theory anyway. I could be wrong, but the risk is pretty low.

Besides, I can carry it on Rip Ryder in the bag and enjoy South Monomoy Island's west side flats without the row over from Hardings or the tidal concerns of Stage Inlet. If I feel like staying past curfew and the weather permits I can paddle back to the refuge at my leisure (dark is 5 hours after the last return shuttle).

And these are just the opportunities I am willing to discuss on line. The exciting ones are the ones I refuse to mention :smokin:

Tod D said:
Juro - you da' man!

You sure it isn't one of those inflatable pool animals - ala the giraffe that Jack Gartside used to "fish" from around Boston Haba? :hehe: Now that would come in handy around the Brewster flats...

#10 ·
Super Costco??

Hey Juro,

Are they running a Blue Light Special on these things in Boston??

I checked the Costco website and they're listing them for $299!! I'd pick one up at $145 just for my own use and abuse, but $299 is a different matter.

Either way - have fun in the surf with your new toy! Maybe next time we head to BC you can bring it with to run a few rapids on the Thompson! And we'll of course video the action! :devil:

Surf's Up, Dude!

DS

#11 ·
And that would make you the drag king... or QUEEN! :devil:

We'll see how this all pans out on the flats in a month or so... I might have to eat hypalon but I'm thinking not...

Roop said:
Hmmm... pool toy.

Should you now be referred to as the pool boy??! :devil: :hehe:

#12 ·
John -

The nearest Costco is in Waltham, Winter Street exit. They have about 10 of them left - they sold 100 in the first batch and there were 85 in this shipment.

They are having a sunglass expo May 17, 18 and 19th as well, I was scoping out a pair of Action Optics but am now going to wait until after the fair. I think they are going to bring in a huge assortment.

Brian -

These are special promo versions of the $299 downpriced to $144.95. They are only available in Costco and one or two sporting goods chains according to the rep. The paddle is a four-pc snap-loc aluminum deal and a serious paddler would replace it, but it fits nice inside the carrying bag with the pump and the yak itself. It's so small you could keep it in the truck for those unexpected opportunities to cross a channel or explore a flat.

I am seriously considering buying two more for opening up a new dimension on the Brewster Flats for friends and clients. My wife and kids and I are beach bums during the summer and these would be a blast to throw in the truck for the beach or ponds.

Granted they are not open water kayaks but they are perfect for hopping from shoal to shoal. Real good life preserver if needed too.

(I should move this thread into the inflatables to emphasize that these are not really yaks)

#16 ·
My rates are reasonable ;)

Seriously, one of the biggest low tides of the season where the bayside herring runs bring the biggest fish into the skinniest water, free parking, little or no competition on the outer shoals, and historically great fishing that time of year... I'll definitely be out there.

Or maybe it's that 3/4 mile drag that you don't like? :hehe:

#17 ·
Hey - can I play too?;)

That could be my last week-end of fun in a fore-shortened season. It would be nice to go out with a bang.

Ooops! Sorry Juro, poor choice of metaphore.

Inflatable kayak - bang!?? :hehe: - hmmmmm ????.

I will bring duct-tape! :D

#18 ·
:hehe:

HAHA!

Maybe a Phizzzle too! It will be great to have you Adrian. I think FredA is in as well. One problem with a morning flood is the glare in late morning, but if we create a triangular structure with the yaks and climb up... ;)

Just for the record, I DO plan to purchase a real yak but I don't think it's in the cards for me this season, next season perhaps.

Somewhere down the road when the kids are through with college (2 in college by September) I will get to that boat I've been dreaming about...

I wonder if my stepladder fits on my yaktoy! :D

#19 ·
Hypalon, phizzle?? Too much for this simple-minded simian.

Of course I will be there, although everyone knows there will be NO FISH THERE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR!!

The idea of the step ladder is doable with a yak, but you should be careful about even joking about it. You wouldn't want to incur the wrath of the internet fly fishing political correctness/ tradition police.

I'll bring some food!

Roop

#20 ·
Since there's no fish, maybe you guys wouldn't mind me tagging along for the paddle. Any chance that huge string of Cormorants is still gonna be around Roop? Man was that an impressive sight and sound.

#21 ·
All my fears of incurring a myocardial infarction have just been erased by the presence of our young friend Nick.

An excellent choice to help get the gear back across the flats although I do still personally bear a grudge against him for stealing all my fish one day last year.

Excellent Smithers...

#25 ·
Ahhh recollections of empire no less.

Given the right wheel configuration we should be able to rig the yak based version of something between a sedan chair and a rikshaw. I have a large bag of Susan B. Anthony $$$ coins to hand out to able bodied bearers. Why is it I only ever have a $20 when I need stamps?:rolleyes:

Damned civilized way of getting across the flats if you ask me!

I also have a 16ft aluminium step ladder to which which we could strap one of Striblue's caddies to plant in a strategic observation point on the incoming.

John, I can think of a couple of rather vociferous contributors to one of the other forums who would benefit from having their contrarian energies channelled into the service of their betters. :chuckle:

#26 ·
Juro:

I've owned a Stearns like yours for a bit over a year now, and so far both the 'yak and I have survived it's use on a number of large BC streams. It paddles well, is light-weight, very portable and seems rugged. Down-side is no storage (you can sort of stick a small dry bag between/under your knees, I take my spey rod apart and stick it under the strech-cords on the deck) and it's "challenging" to get in and out of, particularly given slimy boulder substrate and river current. Haven't filled it with water yet, it will be interesting to see how it handles with a few gallons of wave splash in it. I've been waiting for a warm weather opportunity to try it in some tougher rapids... maybe this summer. I'll let you know how it works, assuming I live through it.

Poul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.