Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Fly of the week  Quilceda

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Steelhead Fly of the week – Quilceda

The Originator of this fly, Karen Gobin, created it in 1985. It is named after a small stream that runs north of Seattle. This simple but elegant fly has proved itself as a good summer run fly.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel, short.
Rib: Flat silver tinsel.
Body: Rear ¼ gray seal dubbing or substitute, front ¾ fiery brown seal dubbing or substitute.
Hackle: Spey type hackle dyed dark red.
Head: Red

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

The Quilceda is indeed a small stream measuring maybe 15' at its widest spots. It is a bit north of Seattle though and actually flows through the Everett, WA suburb of Marysville and from there through a portion of the Tulalip Tribe's Reservation (Steve and Karen are Tulalip tribal members). They used this fly for summer steelhead on two rather famous "S" rivers. Steve and Karen also tied it (yes tied is correct since Steve and Karen haven't tied is about 6 or 7 years according to what Steve told me, too bad because Steve was one of the best.) with a front body section of claret or burgundy dubbing.

Another side note: Steve has been building some very nice bamboo rods for the last 9 years, one of the reasons he hasn't tied a fly in the last 7 or so years.

#3 ·
Russ,

That’s interesting that he would just stop tying. I have seen some of his flies and one does not get that good without having a great amount of passion for doing it. Of course, making bamboo rods takes the same level of passion and commitment.

Charlie

#4 ·
Charlie-

Steve tied wonderful flies and I too see it as a loss that he has quit tying. He told me it was a combination of the bamboo rod making, having grandchildren, the high level management position he now holds with the tribe because of the time it demands, and all the fly fishing clubs and others around the country constantly requesting him to tie and donate flies for fundraisers that caused both he and his wife Karen to quit tying. He also rarely fishes for steelhead anymore because his time is so tied up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.