Fly Fishing Forum banner

Exumas DIY question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  johnboy114 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have been reading up on here and other fourms, and it seems that DIY fly fishing in Exumas gets ugly with the guides...this still true? I am leaving wednesday to go down and plan on gettting a guide for a day but the rest of the time I would rather do it on my own... any one have any updates?

#2 ·
This issue has been brought up with Leslie Miller and Michael Braynen, (Minister of Fisheries and Head, Dept. of Natural Resources). They are aware of it, believe it's an undesirable attribute, and are working with the Bahamian guides' federatrion to ensure it does not recur. I have no recent first-hand experience but am conviced the siutuation has shifted for the better.

#3 ·
I've had some bad experiences in Exuma.

I've heard that in some areas of the Bahamas asking the guide where to spend a tide change or two the rest of your stay, most likely with a good tip, can result in not only great advice but some help against the pressures from other guides.

It's better to be able to say "I fished with xx Monday and he recommended I try here today" than not, although some are more insistent than others. I would take your guide's card and carry it in your pocket. You might ask if the bothersome guide you run into is available later in the week. But of course having shown ill will toward visitors, who would be interested in hiring them?

Guides stop fishing at around 4pm, so if you choose long daylight hours and strong tides you can have some great second shift action as well for tailers and wakers. We did get confronted stopping at a BBQ stand after such an evening. The guide was wearing volumes of gold jewelry and boasting of huge tips while confronting us. It was hard to feel sympathetic.

#4 ·
thats what I am afraid of. thats amazing there are some that are intimidated by DIY. Hope I made the right decision to try somewhere new. Could have gone back to eleuthera and not be harrassed at all. Thanks for the suggestions...

I like the idea of asking if the guide is available to fish later in the week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.