Fly Fishing Forum banner

Racepoint info needed

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Slinger 
#1 ·
I am going to be walking around the Racepoint area Monday or Tuesday. Ihave never been there and I can't remember reading anything here about it. Any info would be great.
Larry

#4 ·
You don`t " walk around Race Point". You either have a sticker and drive in or you park at one of the lots. The closest is at the very end of Rt 6 at Herring Cove, you park there and walk towards the Race till you get to the outlet of Hatches Harbor, this is an excellent spot to flyfish early or late. The other lots start with the Race Point beach, which is a verry long,long hike to the Race, but it is the start of the fabulous Backside. Proceeding towards Orleans from there is a succesion of beaches, all with lots, that you can walk, my favorite being Head of the Meadow. These are the big beaches, somtimes with big surf and some truly huge fish.
Seasonal permits to run the beach sold out in a matter of hours but you may still be able to get a weekly permit at the Race Point ranger station. If you don`t mind the walk try crossing the dike right in P-town out to Wood End, you`ll have the place to yourself and the fishing is awesome.
Slinger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.