Fly Fishing Forum banner

CT after work slam

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Well, days are getting shorter and the warmwater sorties after work are becoming fewer. Puck and I went out in the boat this evening for some after work fishing and had some serious fun.

We were just one species short of the grand slam. We caught largemouth, bluegill, and black crappie. The fishing was dedidedly better once the sun really started to drop (no surprise there), and the topwater action was quite steady for a while there. I now know when Puck is getting hits....everytime he swears, that's him missing a fish. And all this time I thought he was swearing at me.....:rolleyes: I joined in the swearing after a while. I think it's contagious.

It was a good time with good company. And good food afterwards. :D

I really couldn't ask for too much more.

#3 ·
Actually Jeff, we had the digital with us but only got one pic of a 13" bass. Nothing huge, but the fish put up a very entertaining fight for its size. Hindsight being what it is, we probably should have taken a few pics of some bluegills I caught while throwing a 4 inch yellow snake fly on a size 2 hook. Now that was something.

I know that you used to be in the CT area. Next time you're around, drop a line and I'll take you out to one of these reseviors. After Labor Day, everyone's gone from the cottages and most people are down on the coast for the migration. It's like having a playground all to yourself.

If I have time tonight, I'll post the pic.

#4 ·
Mark, I was thinking about heading to the coast tomorrow, but now you've persuaded me to look for fun in my own backyard. I'm going to fish the Housy and try to hit for the cycle: largemouth bass, bluegill, black crappie, rock bass, fallfish, yellow perch and pike. Those are the common species, and there is always a chance for some "wildcard" species as well. Should be a fun experiment!

Q

#6 ·
6 out of 7 :D

Somehow the rock bass managed to elude me :rolleyes: . One largemouth and a couple of pike fell victim to my frog, the rest ate a #6 olive/grizzly woolly bugger.

Mark, I'll definitely take you up on the offer, but it will probably have to wait until next year.

Well, time to go fishing again!

See ya!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.