Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's your best "fence" fly?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
The most recent issue of Fly Tyer magazine has an article about a neat little pattern called the Fencerider Frog. It's basically a deer hair slider with hackle tail/legs that gets the interest of big sunfish and decent bass simultaneously.

This got me to wondering, what's everyone's best "fence" fly? It would have to be small enough to hook large sunfish, but still substantial enough to get the interest of some nice bass. I have two:

1. For topwater, I like a Madam X in a size 6. I'm always suprised by just how many good sized bass will come up for this morsel. It must be the rubber legs. :eyecrazy:

2. For subsurface, it's tough to beat a wooly bugger in a size 6 or 4. The action is terrific, and I've taken hand-sized bluegills and largemouths up to 4 pounds from the same pond on this fly.

There's a few others that get some of this double duty as well, but the two above are my personal favorites. What say all of you?

#2 ·
An unweighted brown maribou muddler minnow with a small head fished just under the surface.

The dragonfly that I put in the warm water fly swap works well for top water.

I'll second the wooly bugger. I like a black one with a glass bead. The glass bead is lighter than a regular bead head and gives it a very slow jigging motion.

#3 ·
Man I guess I'm set in my ways - need to experiment more:hehe:

I have equal success on my favorite ponds with yellow poppers from #6 up to a 1/0 for both bluegills & bass.

My back up is that olive/ purple wooly bugger-clouser hybrid you guys will receive.

Man, I love warmwater!! Nothing like a nice fish on a 4 weight!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.