Fly Fishing Forum banner

A great polar bear substitute

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  debarb 
#1 ·
Now, if ONLY I could harvest it without my girlfriend killing me. :D

Well, give you the scoop. My girlfriend is big into horses. She even chose to become a horse massage therapist, just loves them. She has two appy's. One is the standard blanketed butt roan appy. But one is an albino pretty much. Pink pigment skin, almost pure white. But sheds into a nice white with some black spots over his body. But almost a pure white with blue eyes. Well, we were out feeding today, and I had a good chance to check out his mane. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has that translucent look of polar bear. A good 6" long to boot. Man, it's perfect. Plus, not so thick that it'll flare up. Would also make great saltwater streamers if left in long length. But never looked that closely before, so never knew it was so translucent. When my girlfriend saw how I was studying it, she said "Don't you dare even THINK about it!!!!!!!!!!!". She had said late last year if his mane didn't come around it was gonna be shaved (Appy's are known for having floppy manes that don't behave and look best shaved). Well, for some damned reason it is now behaving and laying nicely on one side of his body. When I said "Well, you were thinking of shaving before" I just got the evil eye. What a waste. :D I may have to take a pair of scissors with me next time. :devil:

#3 ·
ST69...

You go snipping around on that Appy's mane and you may find that gal has scissors of her own and knows how to use them "ala Lorraina Bobbit":devil:

#5 ·
LOL

Yes, he requires brushing, and bridle path cut. Only problem, he's a typicle appy. Their manes/tales grow REALLY slow. Bridle path is still almost the same from last year. The damned brush is almost nil of hair. At this pace, it'll take me a year to get enough for one hairwing. :hehe: But, figures. The main was flopping over the neck in opposite directions every 5" or so. So thought for sure I was gonna get it all this year. Well, now, laying all on one side. So I'm SOL in that dept.

NO WAY am I gonna trim. It's one of those things that the more "little bits" I trim, eventually it'll be all gone. Plus, my girlfriend loves her horses like they were her own babies. She can spot a loss of hair/injury from a mile away. But, thought it was interesting. Have seen other white horses before. But this is first I've seen with that same coloration/translucent coloration like you'll see in polar bear. I only noticed it because I had to actually hold his head up while she was doing some work to a small injury and actually got a close up look at his hair. I was like "oooooooooooooooooooo". Funny to see how fast she reckognized my wheels turning. :hehe:

#10 ·
Well......

I wondered about her horse. He's part quarter horse/part appy. I always wondered if he had some sort of arctic type horse in him. Or possible the albino gene made the fur that color. It's only his mane, not the rest of his body fur. It's a standard white color. Just the mane has that beautiful shine to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.