Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eastern Canada

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  M3gahurtz 
#1 ·
As a Washington state steelhead addict I am in the process of planning a trip to fish atlantic salmon next summer. I have been looking at some of the larger rivers in Newfoundland where I can use my spey rod. I will bring both a single handed and a double handled rod. I would probably spend one week at a lodge and then try to pick up a local guide on a couple of other rivers. The last 3 weeks in july look like a good time to head back there. I will appreciate any advice from back that way. Jerry

#2 · (Edited)
Good Evening Wet Fly

Nice name ......Atlantics will definitely enjpy you!!!! :D

Wet fly,

I read your post a little too fast and just realized you were looking for Eastern Canada (NewFoundland) and not Québec.......
( so I have removed my message .... ) I am still all sane
(I guess :Eyecrazy: )

Please excuse the confusion..... :confused:

I must have a bad case of "Cabin Fever"

I'll send you a pm with a few contact names I have.....

Beautiful country there..... let us know about your fishing trip!!

Keep castimg "wet fly"....

Ann

#3 ·
Jerry
Do a search here and on the Speypages.I believe someone was organising yearly Newfoundland trips to several Nfld.rivers.Also check out Kieth Piersley's excellent
Salmon Preservation Association for the Waters of Newfoundland site. They also print Spawner magasine which is absolutely loaded with info,flies,pic's,stories, etc.
Cheers

#4 ·
eastern canada

Hi Jerry:

If you were looking at coming up to the Gaspe for Atlantic Salmon fishing and wanted to use your spey rod the best time would be the first 3 weeks of June. That is when the fish begin to run and the water levels are high enough to warrant a spey rod.

Newfoundland rivers, in my experience, get salmon runs later in the season as you indicated. And, the rivers are much bigger than Gaspe rivers.

If you consider Quebec you do not need the services of an outfitter. They are helpful, though, especially on new waters. You can get a list of them on www.fpq.com

In Quebec outfitters are the only people who can offer guiding and lodging packages; make sure you hire a licensed outfitter.

I prefer the Gaspe because of the large salmon and clear waters. Newfoundland has lots of fish, though.

Best of luck!

Jeff

#6 ·
Welcome to "The Rock"

Jerry,

Welcome to the 'other side'! I fish Newfoundland every year, mostly double-handed, so I'll give you my .02. I'd recommend booking a week at Dhoon Lodge (on Harry's River) for the first week. George Pike runs a very nice lodge, not fancy (or expensive), excellent guides. Harry's is a fine river with big fish, much of it 'speyable'. Then I would wander up the west coast. There is only one road, and it crosses every river. Just stop at a bridge, general store, or gas station and inquire- I guarantee you'll have a guide in 15 minutes. I think you'll love NF- great people, lots of fish, and NO private water.

Have a blast!:smokin:

John

#7 · (Edited)
A simple correction!

In Quebec outfitters are the only people who can offer guiding and lodging packages; make sure you hire a licensed outfitter.
Simply to clarify the above.

You can also hire an independant licensed guide service and lodge in local Hotels/Motels or campgrounds.
Services are also offered to find lodging.
and
Yes, it is also possible to go through an Outfitter ( having it's own lodge).

Have an excellent day!

Ann

#8 ·
please clarify

Ann:

I guess I was under the impression (from what I have read and heard) that in order to offer packages which include guided fishing and meals and/or accommodations you must be an outfitter. I am not sure if that is what you are stating here.

I have viewed your website and also see on other sites where you have offered packages which include all of the above. What is the difference between you and an outfitter? Again, I thought that if lodging were part of a service being offered then that was outfitting? Example: there is a package I believe is presently being offered by you for anglers 4 days of fishing and 5 nights lodging included. The lodging is in Gaspe in a 3 star motel and meals are included.

How can this be offered by you if you are not an outfitter or am I perhaps missing something?

Jeff

#9 ·
Sir,
The FQSA memo is available online at http://www.fqsa.qc.ca (an English version will be available very soon)... explaining the present situation in Québec as for the draws / the outfitters / the guides / the private clubs, all legal businesses etc... how it is presently working) and also.....(Corrections and recommendations for the future).
An excellent document that will give you a more detailed description of the present situation in Québec’s salmon world and roles of each business.

I don’t feel I have to justify my Incorporated business.
But, I also have a “travel agency franchise”.

Here is also the government web site, if you need more precise details:

http://www.fapaq.gouv.qc.ca/fr/ (I think they also have a toll free number)

Wishing you great fishing for 2005!!

Ann Smith

Québec Sporting Inc.

#10 ·
Don't forget your single handed rod.

Jerry, here are a couple of tips for your Newfoundland fishing trip. Newfie salmon love dry flies and the riffling hitch. I think a single handed rod will work better with dry flies, especially in close. The riffling hitch is probably the the most favorite way to fish for salmon in Newfoundland. Art Lee's book on fishing the riffling hitch and also Lee Wulff's book on salmon are good references on the "hitch". I'm sure your guide will show how it's done, but a little background info will put you that much ahead of the game. Good luck to you.

Earle Fletcher

#11 ·
Jeff,

Not to step on Ann's toes, but here's a quick reply.

The confusion comes in Quebec as there are Outfitters who have exclusif rights to water and or territories.

Say for moose hunting, a well known outfitter north of Lac St-Jean has a contract with the gouvernement and has exclusive rights to the hunting in a certain area. For a hunter to use that area, he must book with that particular outfitter (and use a guide if needed).

On some salmon river I believe this is also the case (Ann, help me here ??).

On other areas, the usage is public access (whether open or through lotteries) and anyone can go there whether through an "agent", unattached outfitter, guide or even travel agent.

For example, I'll sometimes show anglers around for walleyes on Lac St-Jean. 100% public access to this water. Just need a guide sometimes as the lake is 46 miles in diameter and the walleye could be anywhere.

#12 ·
As I have posted elsewhere in this forum, I am going to Gaspe for the first time this summer, so I am obviously no expert. I will say that Ann has been superb with putting up with tons and tons and tons of questions and helping my friend and I to come up with a plan we like for two first-timers. I simply cannot think of anyway anyone could have been of more help.
I would highly recommend her services.

#13 ·
Great replies

I did fish in Newfoundland and understand a little how the system works. I could fish any place and need a guide and the rivers were very crowded. The Gaspe is a whole new area for me and it sounds a little complcated. It looks like I may need someone to hold my hand and help me walk through the steps. I just got out the atlas to find the Gaspe. I see where the rivers run to the south and some to the east. I need to research how to get there and where to stay in the most central location. It looks like I may need a car to get around. I want to firm up something by the end of the month. Jerry

#14 ·
Does not need to be complicated

Wet Fly,

Although it would seem that things are really complicated here, which I can understand from all the bickering lately, it is still a GREAT place to fish. Do not get scared away by all of our posts!

NF is great, been there and loved it.

But, it would now seem you are looking at the Gaspe. If so, then consider ANYWHERE on the Gaspe as almost all the rivers are good.

If you want geographic dead center then you must look at either end of route 299. Either the Bay of Chaleurs region, ie the Petite and Grand Cascapedia and Bonaventure including the Nouvelle, or the Northern side which is Ste-Anne-des-Monts, including the Ste-Anne River and Cap Chat Rivers. From Cascapedia, where I am writing from, you can hit every single river on the Gaspe within a 3-hour drive, that means over 15 rivers! Withing 1.5 hours you can be on 10.

Time of year to fish is your only dilema!

If you want complete info on this area, call or email me and I will be glad to tell you how to do it on your own, through an outfitter or with a guide company.

Best to you,

David

#16 ·
Good advice

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me on this vacation. This forum is great. I am still thinking about my original plan and looking at Newfoundland. I want to tie up this trip in january so if you still have any new suggestions on Newfoundland please post. Jerry the lost steelheader.

#18 ·
Hey Wetfly, I am from NFLD and fish for Atlantics on the big rivers in Newfoundland. I usually fish the exploits river, averege size fish is 4-5lbs with 10-15% are large 10 - 15 lbs. This is probobly the best river in nfld but the salmon are not as big as the Humber or the Eagle. The peak season is the first week in july, this pretty much the same for all rivers in NFLD, with the exception of the west coast and labrador. August is the best time for the lower humber where u will find the biggest fish, average 8-20lbs If I were u i would book a trip to labrador for Mid July. Go to the Eagle river if you want to fish big water, go to the Flowers if you want to fish med size river. Email me if u need more info, my fishing buddy is a guide and could show u around the exploits. You will need a registered guide if you want to fish in NFLD with the exception of 800 meters below or above a highway where u can fish without a guide. A lot of spots on the lower humber are withing this range where the river flows parallel to highway one. This is definitly the spot u want to go in august and september. Exploits in early july, gander in mid to late july and early august.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.