Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Cod Dinner Train- Dinner and Life saving

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 · (Edited)
My ladyfriend took me on the "Elegant Dinner" train ride out of Buzzards Bay...for my birthday. Something you guys should look into..( for all those fishing widows out there too...and you would like it too).. 3 hours , 5 course dinner... and very pleasant and scenic. You get to dress up with a tie...and a trip back to the 1920's...white table cloths and an inside dinner train that looks like the orient express. I thought I would see Piroit walking in with his walking stick and Hamberg. An incident happenned where we had to book back to the sandwich stop instead of heading to Hyannis. The staff ran into the dinner car and screamed for anyone with medical knowlege, My friend Sally, a registered nurse,ran back into the kitchen car and the the train started moving at high speed backwards. Ambulances where waiting at Sandwich. Sally came back answering questions from others which I could not hear until she sat back down. Apparently the conductor and the tour guide suffered a heart attack. She preformed what she could do and her actions brought the guy back to consciousness....He was out cold and the skin color looked bad...she said.. probably saved his life the EMT's said... he was stented back at CC Hospital and survived. I was sitting there looking at her and she just started finishing her dinner.She got a nice e-mail from the head management with some earned backslapping. The conductor is ok now. She is an experienced emergency room nurse up town and never talks about her day to day. Just another day I guess., and a former 5 time women's golf champion at Wellesley CC. I am working on her casting though.

See less See more
#3 ·
Bravo!

But, given a choice, I would have voted to cut the piano loose and red ball it to Hyannis, full speed all ahead flank... :eek:
Damn those pesky RR crossings! :whoa:
Ambulance (and cameras) at the ready...
Photos at eleven!
John...Maybe you can parley this into a mini-series!? :hihi:

ps
How was dinner? :confused:

pps
The world needs more Sally's!!! :D

#4 ·
Job well done!!

John

Had a similar incident happen to Renee and I while dinning with some friends at Morrell's restaurant in Dennis.

I had to do CPR on a women who had a stroke and stopped breathing. Renee gave me the look, that I better get up and so something, since no one working for the restaurant seemed to know what to do.

Long story short, your friend should be greatful she got a thank you. Not one person from the restaurant said anything to us after the incident. The next time we went in, I asked to speak to the manager, and informed him that he should be ashamed of himself, for not properly training his staff in First Aid and CPR. Sounds like your Dinner train people need to set aside some time for the same training.

I have to say, when I was working as a bouncer, my managers had a mandatory meeting for us to get certified in CPR/First Aid every year. You would think the establishments would be concerned about the liability of not Doing Anything to help.

Job well done.

Capt Keith

#7 ·
Indeed good stuff, and admittedly, I'm ignorant about CPR and emergency first aid. The older I get, the more I hang out with what Juro describes as "old codgers." And as fishermen, we tend to end up in a lot of remote areas. I'll be spending some time learning more about life saving techniques from my son, Chris, a former parole officer.

Thanks for sharing the stories, John and Keith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.