Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hey Adrian . . .

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
What part of the Housy are you fishing for smallies? I fished the Sheffield, MA, section a couple years ago and did pretty well with them. No monsters, but plenty of feisty leapers. Been planning to try that area again, this time with the fly rod, but I haven't made it down there yet.

Q

#2 ·
Hi Quentin

Missed your post somehow!

I took a ride up to the Northern TMA at Cornwall bridge in CT. There is a map of all the pools for the Northern TMA. The Southern section is below Gaylordsville.

I got a couiple of guides covering the pools and major hatches so next time I'll know where I am ;)

#4 ·
I haven't tried that kind of fly fishing yet ("real" flyfishing). Is that like the trout fishing equivalent of the saltwater blitz?

#5 ·
Wow -- August already!

The water is very warm currently and trout are hiding in the refuges.

The smallies are reputedly quite fond of the whitefly too :D

Bring it on!

#6 ·
It's a blitz of sorts. There are so many flies on that trout, including the big boys, tend to lose a little bit of caution and come to the surface readily for the calories. But smallmouths react the same way, as do fallfish, white perch, sunnies, and any other species that might be in the river. I've even seen people catch white catfish on this hatch in Pennsylvania. :eyecrazy:

The fishing isn't too tough...a size 12 or 14 White Wulff on about 5X with a dead drift seems to work just fine. If there's just too much meat on the water and the fish don't notice your fly, a quick skate or two can draw their attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.