Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lex Res. Report

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
Ventured out to the Lex. Res today for lunch. Awesome hatch going on. Tan Midge emerger sorta things. Another guy there casting flies had a got few small rainbows cruising the beach. He said slow stop n go retreive. I didn't have time to put on the waders. Just cast from the beach . I got a couple of sunfish. Then my #20 Tan Midge on 6x started getting smashed by these little bows. But I couldn't get a hookup or they would spit it. I lost over 10 strikes this way. I finally managed to land one bow and then another chunky sunny.
Help me here guys-why was I missing hook sets? I inspected my hook it was fine. Sharp too.

BTW, since I couldn't get my fly down what finally got me many strikes was a fast retrieve with the fly in the film.

Lefty

#3 ·
I believe my fly was a Tan Midge Emerger #20 although I know little about these tiny flies. The thing that confuse me was some of the lost fish were on for a couple of seconds and starting to fight when they would spit the hook. ??? Maybe I need to say "Mississippi" when ever I got a strike to allow the fish to get the hook a little further back on the mouth.

Lefty

#6 ·
Yeah if they are stockers I have experienced the same catch rate. Seems like the smaller guys are still trying to figure out how to eat a bug rather than pellets and can be quite frustrating to say the least. Better than working though....

Glad to hear there ware some trout to be had in Mass. Was thinking that was a part of my fishing I was going to have to give up when I move over there.

-sean

#7 ·
Yup they were of the Caddis variety. And those observations about little stockers learning seem right on. I was standing there at the end of lunch, alone, water calm with about a half dozen rize rings in the water in front of me. Yahhhhh.
Sean, depending on where you end up in Mass. there can be some good (albeit not wild) trout fishing. We need this pesky drought to end though too. If you like Largemouth bass, they're literally everywhere too.
But of course the salt awaits you, our prize.

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.