Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help with Saltwater pond flies

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jyoung 
#1 ·
I live in St Kitts and haven't really been able to find any good flats to fish for Bones but recently ran across a murky saltwater pond alive with all kinds of activity. We've recently caught a Tarpon, couple Snook, and a Permit there all on the same tan EP minnow but haven't had much luck since. I was wondering if anyone out there has fished a similar place to this and could offer any fly advice. I've heard from the locals that this pond used to be stocked with the fish above and everything in there hasn't been fished in some time. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
The ponds on the Marriott golf course at St.Kitts are full of tarpon and they are willing takers on many patterns but I had the best luck with a large shrimp pattern I designed for winter steelhead in the pacific northwest believe it or not.

It's essentially a GP variant tied in orange. They responded to other flies but attacked this with abandon, repeatedly if they missed it the first swipe.

As important as the appeal is the ability to withstand the rock jaws and penetrate the tiny seams and cracks in their armour mouth.

Luckily I had a couple of these flies tied on heavy irons, other flies I tried were opened straight on the first jump.

Also I ended up cutting back the leader until I must have been fishing 40# tippet and these were 20-40 pound fish with one in the 60's that I had no prayer of landing.

I jumped 11 and landed two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.