Fly Fishing Forum banner

YAKBONE Clave this weekend!

5K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  Chowdah Bob 
#1 ·
I propose an impromptu bonito mini-clave this weekend. We will launch and row, paddle or swim to various south / upper cape locales to flyfish for bonito. Then we'll get together to share stories and enjoy the good fresh seafood and other entrees the cape restaurants have to offer.

If there are a half dozen, one spot is fine. If there are a dozen, we might spread out and clue each other in with cell phones.

If more, then we can choose from a number of potential bonito holes:

Bass River mouth, Stage Island - launch at Veterans or several other ramps
Craigville inside to end of inlet - Bumps River
Waquoit west jetty (Washburn) - White's landing or other options
Cotuit / Dead Neck - landings around but need to investigate access to non-res
Poppy - (wade)
Seaview - ticket is $15, cheap if three split the cost
Falmouth Salt Ponds (wade)

Let me know if there is any interest.

Juro

See less See more
G
#4 ·
JohnM and I are planning a pre-dawn assault along similar lines. I can't speak for John, but I'd be into claving it. The Washburn side of Wacky would be killer!! If it happens, I'll be the one mooning all the bait chuckers on the other side

I wish it were otherwise, but as it stands, all I have is an 8 HP Tohatsu motor to offer.

#6 ·
Juro,
I have a Saturn but that won't do me too good in the water. Other than that I have a wallet (for any shuttle services) and a serious itching to catch a bonito. I would love to go.
Nick

#8 ·
Al and Juro........

I am on for a mini-clave ! Great timing as my wife and daughter are at the New Jersey shore for the weekend.......No boat yet....by winter, though, there will be a watercraft sitting in the driveway but that does not help us now !

John

#11 ·
Juro,

Where will we be putting in and what time? What kind of flies do I need to tie? What day will this take place? Saturday would be best for me, but I probibly could make it Sunday too. If Dave P.is not going to be able to make it, I will have room for one other guy. What is your cell phone number? Mine is 508-7830605.

Lots of backing,

Craig

G
#13 ·
Craig,

Tie up some bone bunnies in various lengths and hook sizes. These are very simple to do and relatively cheap. Some say not to use cross cuts for the palmering, but unless the zonker strips are VERY good quality, the overall effect on fish (stripers only in my experience -- hoping to change that soon) is less than with the cuts.... YMMV. Any color is fine for bonito...so long as it's white.

I tied up a few pure white silver side jobbies last night -- something akin to the Ray's Fly style I mentioned in my Ahab story. Bonito have extraordinary visual accuity so shoot for flies that are as realistic as possible.

As to time and place. I like Sat. in the Waquoit neighborhood somewhere around 4 AM.

Now if I can only stay focussed on work....

#18 ·
<center><font color="ff0000"><b>SUMMARY AND ATTACK PLAN</b></font><!--color--></center>

Al - motor
John - flies, no boat
Nick - waders
Brian - sense of humor
Gregg - float tube
Mike - same
craig - canoe w/ motor, room for two riders?
juro - canoe with room for one -or- shuttle operation

OK - Here's the plan.

We go to a spot from where we can launch our shuttle craft to get to the promised hot spot on the other side. We minimize the parking fine (usually $15) by car pooling to the launch spot. We shuttle passengers to/from the awesome and inaccessible spot. We fish for the awesome bonito, then shuttle passengers back to the launch spot and reverse the process.

This way we really only need one or two boats and we split the parking ticket.

I actually have several spots that are exactly like this, and Wacky is the worst of the bunch because of the distance from the launch to the jetty. The only advantage there is the free parking for all of us at the (distant) launch.

Since I can take one rider, and Craig can take two, we will both make two trips to get the whole crew across.

If nothing else, it will be amusing.

Other options include kayak rentals for the bunch... thoughts?

G
#20 ·
Well, I actually have more than a motor..... I have a trailer. It's legal for the road under my father-in-law's registration....I also have a boat (of sorts) that is also registered for the year via my in-laws. This thing is ugly. I mean REALLY ugly. I wouldn't fly fish out of it for fear of being cut off on the sharp fiberglass edges. I wouldn't sit in it for fear of the cheap plywood seats buckling under my weight (or even Juro's...or even a back pack's!)

I wouldn't feel safe in it any more than 100 yards off shore, but it could easily shuttle me and three guys and their gear to whatever spot we decide on. Someone might have to help me back it down the ramp as I haven't yet mastered trailering, but the option is there....

#21 ·
This almost sounds like the beginning of the "Survivor" show on CBS ! Al, I would be more than willing to help you back the boat down..........Juro, the lighthouse intrigues me......Do you think the spot we will try for bones will have bass also ?? I hear there are tons of 3 to 5 lb blues in the South Cape area, also....

John

#22 ·
Hi Everyone,

What day are you guys planning on heading out for the Bone-Clave? I am in for Sunday if you are open to having a stranger tag along. I have a kayak so I am personally mobile.

Thanks and if I don't get a chance to head out with you then I wish you the best of luck...

Doogue

G
#23 ·
Dooge,

There <i>are</i> no strangers on the water, at least in this community. Come join in the antics! It looks like Sat. is the prefered day.

John - thanks for the offer. I need to check with my insurance agent. If I can toss a rider on my policy today for the trailer, it's a go. Bones are improbable at Chatham light.

BTW, yak rentals sounds like a good idea and might simplify things greatly. Juro, (or anyone with the info) any thoughts on where this might be possible given the list of spots in the initial post?

Al

#24 ·
Trout or Bones, that is the question. I was going to hit the Deerfield at least once this year but the bone clave sounds good. If I come I will bring my yak and have room on my truck rack to put one more on so if someone wanted to rent one we could. I will let you know by the end of the day.

#25 ·
Can do it to. Have Yak, will travel. Also. Bonito reported by Pete A from Orvis in early eve at Bucks creek off Ridgevale Beach ,down the street from me... never usually fish there, but the whole south side could work, and as you said, Stage harbor might work.

#26 ·
<center><b>More suggestions for YAKBONE I</b></center>

The area is loaded with scup and fluke. I suggest we bring a coleman stove and a fillet knife and have a good old fashioned fish fry (if the weather permits). Bring energy bars or sandwiches if you don't like fish or if the weather goes to hell. My recipe is:

- scup or fluke fillet
- flour
- Prudhomme's seafood magic
- light olive oil
- can of italian style stewed tomatoes
- couscous or other side like native corn

Sprinkle the fillet, pat with flour and saute' in a little bit of oil until crispy on the edges. Spoon some stewed tomatoes over the fillet (Provencale style) and serve with sides. Easy to do on a gas stove if weather permits. I will bring the cutting board, knife, flour, spice, tomatoes if someone can bring the olive oil and extra stove, paper plates, trash bag, plastic forks. We should all bring our own drinks but I will have a cooler on my dory if you want to consolidate.

The minimalist craft will be beached on the neck (hint hint). Tides are slack high predawn / dawn so there will be bass inside the inlet and hopefully the funny fish will show during the outflow like last weekend. Incoming may offer additional opportunities.

For those with kayaks, someone will shuttle you back from the legal parking area if you do not want to pay the $15 fine for parking.

More details to follow... please comment on the shore lunch / fresh scup and fluke idea. This will require some spinning rods and bait BTW.

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.