Fly Fishing Forum banner

and yet again........

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Feiger 
#1 ·
Glasso's Orange Heron interpretation... BEP natural in place of the real thing, pintail for the throat, otherwise, pretty much to pattern, at least as it's described in Shewey's book... speaking of which, anyone seen Bob V.'s new book?? thinking of picking up that as well...

again, comments always welcome...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Feiger,

Nicely tied. The Orange Heron is my favorite winter/spring fly. I tie and fish it on Alec Jackson #1 1/2's and #3's. Have you ever tried using Orange UNI-Stretch for the body floss? It has the same hot orange coloration of the wings and dubbing you used and is the color that I've seen on flies that Glasso tied.

Regarding Veverka's book, I bought my copy in early January. It has more info in it on materials than Shewey and list all the old spey flies from the 1800's. In my opinion, if a person is interested in spey and dee flies, he should have both Veverka's and Shewey's books.

#3 ·
thanks for the comments... also have another floss color that is a "hot orange" that is more closely matched to the wings and body fur (angora died hot orange). i've seen different colored versions of the orange heron, through different texts and tiers, so have been trying both. i like the brighter orange of the other floss better, but this was the only good picture that turned out! floss i've been using has been danville's, mostly cause its what i've had on my desk, used in other steelhead patterns i've played with. will try the uni-stretch next time i'm back in civilization and can pick up a spool.

thanks for the reply on bob's book... of interest, talked with Shewey at the end of January at a seminar he gave in Boise, ID. He mentioned that he will soon (soon being relative) be coming out with a second addition to his book. reason: a whole lotta info - fly patterns, materials history, use of materials, history of patterns, etc. - hit the cutting room floor due to publisher page restrictions. i'm guessing the publisher didn't have as much faith in the book as john did, and the publisher's been proven wrong - can hardly find a hard copy any more... not sure if he's simply going to upgrade the current text and expand, or come out with a "2nd volume"... can't wait to see it... will have to get bob's book as well... other's have had good review to...

later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.